We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
BlackBerry 10 is jam-packed with software functions to make the most of your your Z10's camera. TimeShift, the built-in Story Maker, and the finely tuned still image editing tools are but the tip of the iceberg, though.
A few practical usage tips will go a long way to making snaps their best. The BlackBerry 10 camera isn't too shabby if you know how to use it, all it takes is a little know-how.
Read on for our top ten camera tips for BlackBerry 10!
Top Ten Must-Know BlackBerry 10 Camera Tips
1. Use the hardware volume control keys to take your picture instead of obscuring the screen with a finger.
2. Drag and move the cursor on screen to change the point of focus and how exposure is calculated (which can dramatically improve shots in low lighting conditions)
3. Make heavy use of the editing tools in the Pictures application; they can significantly improve your photos.
4. Try to stay as still as possible when taking shots to prevent blurring, and enable Stabilization mode if you're on the move.
5. Remember that the TimeShift camera doesn't have flash; in dark circumstances, it may be better to just take a regular still with the flash on
6. To set a picture as a contact image, tap the thumbnail in the bottom-left after taking the picture, tap the overflow menu button in the bottom right, then Set As, and Contacts.
7. Splice together still photos and video clips with the Story Maker application to create rich slideshows.
8. If you intend on sharing a video wirelessly, shoot in 720p instead of 1080p by tapping the menu key in the bottom-right and then the resolution toggle.
9. Don't try flipping the phone around and taking a picture of yourself with the primary camera. Tap the menu button in the bottom-right and tap the Switch Camera button to take the shot from the forward-facing camera.
10. Long press the camera icon from the bottom-right of the lock screen to get right to shooting without having to unlock the device.
UPDATE: BONUS ROUND
One of the fine camera developers at QNX shot over some extra tips, plus one of our commenters had a great one to add in.
- Wait for focus indicators to turn green! We prioritized immediacy of capture over focus so you don't miss moments.
- Drag focus box back to center to return to continuous-auto-focus mode. You'll notice the box is larger in CAF mode
- CLASS MATTERS! Use class 10 SD Card (or internal flash) if recording video @ 1080p. Files >4GB now possible!
- Try burst shooting mode if you are worried about missing the moment.
- For more megapixels in your photos, switch to 4:3 aspect ratio. 8MP on the rear-facing camera in 4:3 vs 6MP @ 16:9.
- Finally: more advanced camera apps to come! The BB10 Camera App only showcases a subset of the platform's features
- When recording video, tap the lamp icon to turn the video light on & off. (Handy as a flashlight in a pinch!)
- Tap and drag the thumbnail image in the camera app up and to the right to get a closer look without opening it in a separate app.
More BlackBerry 10 Tips and Tricks
That should help you get started on making the most out of the camera on any BlackBerry 10 device. Z10 owners, how are you finding the picture quality on the pictures you're taking?
Get BlackBerry 10 Help in CrackBerry's BlackBerry 10 Forums
Check out our BlackBerry 10 Hub tips
Check out our BlackBerry 10 E-mail tips
Check out our BlackBerry 10 Browser tips
View more BlackBerry 10 Help Articles