The last few updates to Telegram have focused on improving privacy and offering more control to end users, but with the latest release, Telegram has switched gears a bit. Telegram 5.8 has now landed in the Google Play Store, and for this release, Telegram has improved how you add contacts exchange contact info.
- Add any users to contacts, even if their phone numbers are not visible
- Go to Contacts > Add People Nearby to see and add people who also have this section open
- Host local communities by creating location-based group chats
- Transfer ownership of groups and channels by granting full rights to another admin. Useful when switching jobs or if you just want to retire as creator
- Toggle message previews for specific chats, and use Search and 'Delete All' tools in Notification Exceptions
The addition of location-based contacts and the ability to create groups with those contacts is pretty sweet. Rather than messing with phone numbers and contact info, you can easily just open up Telegram and "Add People Nearby" and your list will begin populating with folks who have done the same near you. Then all you have to do is add them to your group.
If you moved from BBM Channels to Telegram and set up a channel, you may find the new Transfer ownership feature handy as well. Now if you do not want to be the admin of a group or channel, you quickly transfer ownership rights over to another admin.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.