The last big update to Telegram came with 5.0 but the latest version rolling out through the Google Play store sits at v5.2 and brings along with it plenty of improvements to sorting contacts, finer group settings, as well as the ability to undo deleted chat history easily.
New in version 5.2:
- Global permissions for groups. Restrict all members in any group from posting certain types of content.
- Unified group settings. Make groups public, set admins with granular permissions and toggle persistent history in any group.
- Undo deleting chats and clearing chat history within 5 seconds. Detailed confirmation dialogs when deleting chats.
- New sorting options in Contacts: by name or by last seen time.
- New animations when uploading and downloading media
Looking at the list, the biggest change there is the group improvements. Since Telegram now supports groups up to 200,000 members, that means things can get noisy and now admins can block specific types of content from being shared. Gifs are fun, but some folks can go overboard. Additionally, Telegram streamlined the Settings screens, Admin panels, and Member lists.
Have you ever deleted a chat or cleared chat history by mistake? Only to have it gone forever. Well, on 5.2, when you delete a chat or clear chat history, you'll be presented with a dialog which will give you the option to rescue chat / chat history within 5 seconds. You can read the full announcement from Telegram here, or just skip to the Google Play Store and get it downloaded right now.
Also, the desktop client has been updated with support for group permissions, automatically downloading files and music and choosing input and output devices for Telegram Calls.