Another awesome piece of news to come from BlackBerry Jam Americas in San Jose today is that RIM has updated their BlackBerry 10 development tools. Not only does this bring more capabilities and features but also improves performance when developing applications for BlackBerry 10. Keep reading for the full press release.
RIM Releases Latest Update to BlackBerry 10 Development Tools Beta
The updates to the beta software development tools continue to improve the ease and speed of development for BlackBerry 10 - the most open ecosystem in mobile today. Developers can choose to develop apps with the languages and frameworks they're comfortable using - including; Native C/C++, Qt, HTML5, Adobe AIR and Android Java runtime technologies. Developers can use the skills and knowledge they already have to quickly and easily build high quality and engaging apps.
New features of the BlackBerry 10 development tools improve readability of code and increase efficiency and convenience when building and editing applications. Changes include:
BlackBerry 10 Core Applications
- Software update for both the BlackBerry 10 simulator and BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha now includes the core BlackBerry 10 message center, contacts, calendar, and BlackBerry Messenger (BBM) applications
- Developers can now start to develop BBM enabled applications for BlackBerry 10 smartphones
Introduction of a new Native (C/C++) plug-in for Microsoft Visual Studio
- Allows game developers to use their existing Microsoft Visual Studio tools to port their game titles to both the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet and BlackBerry 10 smartphones
Updated Ripple Simulator
- Additional support for BlackBerry 10 device and API emulation
- Ripple now offers Adobe Cordova (PhoneGap) some of the best support available in a web simulator
BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha Testing Device
The BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha testing device program has been a great success and due to the high demand, we have manufactured a second round of BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha testing devices for distribution. This is a sign of our commitment to our developer community. We are making sure they have the best software tools to build, and with this device, the best hardware to test.
Useful Links for Developers
BlackBerry Developer Zone: http://developer.blackberry.com
Inside BlackBerry Developer Blog: http://devblog.blackberry.com
Twitter: @BlackBerryDev: http://www.twitter.com/blackberrydev
BlackBerry App World: http://appworld.blackberry.com
Developer Success Stories: https://bdsc.webapps.blackberry.com/devzone/whyblackberry/stories
A new 5G BlackBerry Android smartphone with a keyboard will arrive in 2021
A new joint announcement from BlackBerry, OnwardMobility, and FIH Mobile lays out the plans for a new 5G BlackBerry Android smartphone with a physical keyboard to be brought to market in North America, and Europe within the first half of 2021.