WooHOO!! A first REAL look at BlackBerry OS 6.0. The Boy Genius got some screen captures and a tour of the updated and evolving OS 6.0 from an AT&T connect and has reported back with lots of details. Things are looking very promising for us BlackBerry users who have been waiting patiently (err... impatiently) for both a first real glimpse at OS 6.0 and for its ultimate release. Here are some of the key details:
- As expected, it's an evolution of the existing BlackBerry OS
- RIM has implemented kinetic scrolling with rubber banding throughout the OS (more fluid experience)
- RIM has implemented multitouch throughout the OS - web browser, photos (including pinch to zoom!)
- Re-vamped inbox - w/ large thumbnails to identify the type of message (facebook, twitter, etc.) and features built-in RSS. BG is loving the experience here...
- Homescreen changeup: No widget support, but RIM has implemented something called Pages. BG's explanation:
- "You can have your applications on the main page, then slide left or right to another page with different applications and browse that way. In the homescreen screenshot above, you'll see a sliding field towards the bottom, and you can slide that up, and reveal the first page of applications, and you can then slide that to show the different groups which correspond to the different homescreen page. Favorites, all, home, etc."
- On touchscreen device, new modal popup with gestures - tap and hold, pops up an icon set (menu) with context menu items (read full explanation at BGR).
- Updated media player, photos app and of course the WebKit browser!!
All around this is looking like a GREAT update to the BlackBerry operating system. The word is we'll see OS 6.0 launch on a device in June/July (we're hoping this is true). There are MORE DETAILS and MORE IMAGES over at BGR, so click on over at the link below to jump over and get your 6.0 on!
Enter to win a BlackBerry KEY2 LE and prize package from CrackBerry!
New year, new giveaway! Enter to win a BlackBerry KEY2 LE!
Save $150 on the BlackBerry KEY2 from GoTalk
For a limited time, GoTalk has knocked $150 off the regular price of the KEY2 in Silver or Black when you use coupon code KEY2XMAS at checkout.
Twitter announces new controls for conversations, available globally now
Twitter has announced that it is changing the way conversations work on Twitter, bringing more control to users so as to make Twitter safer and more comfortable.