If you have an iOS device and have been testing out BBM through the Beta Zone, you'll want to ensure you get yourself updated the latest release through TestFlight as BlackBerry has sent out invites for v2126.96.36.199. The biggest addition this time around is the introduction of 'Private Chat', which BlackBerry has bundled with the Timed Message and Retraction subscription to create a new package called Privacy and Control.
This beta version of BBM introduces:
- Private Chat: Make sure your sensitive messages are kept confidential. In a private chat, all contact information is hidden, and new message notifications are discreet. Your chat is automatically deleted on both ends when the chat is inactive or closed. To start a private chat, tap the private chat icon at the top right corner of a 1:1 chat. Private chat is included in the new Privacy and Control Subscription, which bundles several powerful features into one convenient subscription.
This new subscription includes the following components:
- Private Chat
- Edit Message
- Timed Messages and Pictures
All existing Timed and Retracted Messages Subscribers will be upgraded to the new Privacy and Control Subscription at no additional cost.
- Quote Message: Reference and reply to a previous message in your chat. To quote a message, tap and hold on it and select "Quote Message".
- BBM performance is slow (App startup, scrolling)
- Apple keyboard rendering issues
If you've been invited to the program, you should be seeing the update listed in TestFlight and readily available for download. That said, a small number of individuals have mentioned being unable to download the update. If you fit into that category, it's best you post on the Beta Zone forums and let them know.
Don't listen to AT&T: Your phone isn't going to stop making calls
AT&T customers have been receiving warnings from the carrier saying that their phones will soon stop making calls. That's technically true, but the network change isn't coming until 2022. Here's what you need to know about the transition to VoLTE (HD Voice) on AT&T.