iHeartRadio, created by Clear Channel Radio, launched their site in April of 2008. If you aren’t familiar with iheartradio, is an interactive media social networking site that gives access to over 750 stations in the US. By using iHeartRadio, you can either tap into live radio stations or create a custom station with the genre that best suits you, or your favourite artist/songs. A couple of years ago iHeartRadio entered into the streaming radio fray (already involving heavy hitters like Slacker) with their own BlackBerry application. Across several platforms, iHeartRadio has been downloaded over 34 million times. Recently in BlackBerry App World, Clear Channel launched their iHeartRadio for Ford SYNC AppLink BlackBerry application. By making use of SYNC, this allows users to tap into voice commands in order to search for content. Other SYNC options include:
- Search for stations by location simply saying "Cities", wait for the prompt, and say the city name.
- Browse through stations in that city using the steering wheel controls or tune knob.
- Search for stations by Genre by simply saying “Genre”, wait for the prompt, and say the genre name.
- Browse through stations in that genre using the steering wheel controls or tune knob.
- While listening to a station on SYNC, you can store it as a favorite station by saying "Save Station", then access it later by saying "Favorites"
- While listening to a station on SYNC, you can assign that station to a preset by pressing and holding a preset button on the radio.
- Access local iHeartRadio stations by saying "Local" or get national stations by saying "National
OS 5.0 or higher is supported but the application is only available in the US. I can see Canadian Artists on the site but no apps for Canadians. Too bad, seeing how some of the best musicians come from Canada (zing!). You can grab the iHeartRadio for Ford SYNC AppLink for free from BlackBerry App World
More information/download iHeartRadio for Ford SYNC AppLink for BlackBerry smartphones