Oh Instagram for BlackBerry, where are you? This is a question that a large portion of BlackBerry users have been asking for quite some time now.
While BlackBerry has been actively courting high profile developers to the BlackBerry 10 platform, we can’t forget that there are other alternatives available on the platform.
So, because Instagram is one of those ‘hot topic’ applications for BlackBerry users, I’m going to go over a few alternatives that offer BlackBerry users a similar service to that which is provided by the Instagram application.
Continue reading to see how you can add filters and focus points to your photos from your BlackBerry.
LensBoost is available for pretty much every BlackBerry Smartphone that is currently on the market. LensBoost for BlackBerry features a wide range of filters, effects and frames to help you make that special moment even better.
- Apply Filters, Frames, Overlays in seconds
- Full screen image support. NO CROPPING
- Share photos on Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, BBM
- TiltShift to simulate depth-of-field (OS7 ONLY)
Photo Pro Free
Starting the creative process in Photo Pro Free for BlackBerry Smartphones is actually quite simple. To start editing a photo, open up the application on your BlackBerry Smartphone, from there you’ll be asked to select a photo or take a new one. Once you’ve got the photo that needs to be edited loaded, you can select from a plethora of filters, effects, and blur options.
- Rotate Mirror
- *Write Text
- Undo & Redo
- Save As Wallpaper
- Send as Email
InstaPhoto – Instagram-Like App
From a foundation standpoint, InstaPhoto is one of the closest applications to resemble Instagram. InstaPhoto gives you the ability to crop an image and then add filters and blur effects to it. One thing I didn’t like is that you couldn’t add a blur effect over top of a filter, something Instagram is known for.
- Easy to get started, simply choose a pre-existing photo or snap one right away. Camera integration runs directly within app, allowing you to take a photo and start instantly!
- Images save to a custom gallery folder and are featured when you load the app, or you can opt to view the latest uploads on Twitter from your friends!
- Large preview images allow you to see an effect clearly before making a selection.
- Simple controls with stunning pre-set effects, it's easy for anyone to use with just a tap of the finger!
- Quick rending, no long loading times for an effect.
- Unique effects creating interesting themes for your photos; periscope, mugshots, HUDs and many more!
A+ Picture Effects and Photo Editor
A Picture Effects and Photo Editor is one of the most fully-fledged photo editing applications I’ve seen on the BlackBerry platform. Not only does the application do the normal filters and blur effects like Instagram, it goes further and adds other effects like mirror and pop art. Overall I liked the ease of use of the application, but one complaint would be the amount of time it takes to apply some of the more complex applications.
- Basic picture manipulation such as rotate (custom angle), crop, resize or scale, mirror or flip (horizontal, vertical, diagonal)
- Basic color manipulation such as adjustment to brightness, contrast, gamma, RGB (Red, Green, Blue) filter, HSB (Hue and Saturation), invert (photo film effect), and sephia / sepia tone
- Advanced effects and distortions such as perspective view, twirl, bulge (fat effect), squeeze, blur, bump, painting, comic, toon, noise, stretch filters
- Interactive mode. You don't need to input numbers anymore. Just point and click!
- Image preview
- Saving image to memory card
- History of actions, so you can undo very easily
- Share or post image via Facebook, Twitter via Twitpic, and email
So while Instaphoto has a similar feature set to Instagram, MOLOME goes all out and almost matches Instagram feature for feature. MOLOME allows you to not only apply the normal effects to your photos, but also has its own social network. Once you’ve created your MOLOME account you can follow and comment on other users photos, just like you can in Instagram.
- Fast camera access for instant sharing
- 14 magical filters, including the all time popular Vignette, Parlo, Croosy, Old Paper, Vintage, Sepia and Black & White
- New filters for MOLOME™ Blackberry release: Rainbow
- Sharing to MOLOME™ network, Facebook and Twitter
- Earn Badges
- Follow and view Friends' photos
- View popular photos
- Love and comment photos
- Easily view and update your own profile & photo
- Optimize performance for BlackBerry devices
- Fast upload speed
- 100% free and unlimited photo uploads
- 640x480 screen resolution are fully supported
So as you should be able to tell, developers are working hard to provide the best application experience on the BlackBerry platform. While we don’t have Instagram yet, there are some awesome alternatives that will help you add that retro look to your photos taken on your BlackBerry Smartphone. What great Instagram alternatives have you found? Be sure to let us know in the comments!
For more help and discussion on this and other topics, head to the CrackBerry Forums