Even before we had OS 6, Iconify was bringing some OS 6 functionality to BlackBerry. Through Iconify, links to files, contacts, composing messages, web links and more were made readily available from your home screen. Users are able to decide what image to use and also the naming and command confirmation options. When it comes to contacts, links can easily handle multiple phone numbers or email addresses through the IconifyMail Link and IconifyDialLink features. Recently, Matthias let us know of a recent update that was made to Iconify. One of the major updates include the option to decide if a Global Menu item should be created for each IconifyLink (items readily available by simply pressing the menu button). The 50 link version of Iconify is currently on sale for $1.99 and the 15 link version is on sale for only $0.99. You can pick up either version of Iconify from the CrackBerry App Store. Check out the updates:
- Create an Iconify ApplicationLink to any existing installed application on your BlackBerry Device.
- Specify a custom image for the Application or use the default Application Icon. Please note, that most of the Core BlackBerry Applications (like Mail, Contacts, Calendar, Clock, etc.) does not come with own Application Icons - most of these "Core"-Apps gets their Icon from the current active Theme. Unfortunately there is no access (for a 3'rd party application) to these Theme icons - so you need to specify a own image.
- Specify an custom name or use the default generated (depending on your settings the default application name.
Creating ApplicationLinks can be done via the Iconify-Options in the Edit IconifyLinks section. There you will find a Menu Item called 'Add IconifyApplicationLink' which will open a Application-Chooser. Please note that you can filter the list and hide the System (Core) Applications. This makes it much easier to find your individual installed 3'rd Party Applications. Please Note, that not all listed System Apps can be actually launched - some of them require additional parameters & configurations that are only known by RIM.
- For all Iconify Links you have the option to include the link in the global BlackBerry Menu - this will make the Link available always (in any application) via the BlackBerry Menu.
- Additionally to be able to include each Link in the Menu you have to option to specify a HomeScreen Hotkey for your link - so you can launch the link directly from the HomeScreen by a single click on your BlacBerry keyboard (not available for Storm & Strom2 - sorry). Please note that this functionality have some restrictions:
- For OS6 you have to activate the 'Application Shortcuts' (this can be done in the Home Screen Preferences - Launch by Typing)
- For other OS (except Storm/Storm2) you have to disable the the 'Dial from Home Screen' Option in the Phone Options
- Some of the chars are already in use by the core BlackBerry applications (like 'O' (for Options) or 'M' (for Messages)) - so the number of available HomeScreen hotkeys is limited and you can't assign a hotkey for all of your Iconify links'.
- Support for new BlackBerry Devices 9900 & 9850
- Contact Pager-Number can be used
Contest: We have 50 copies of the Iconify 50 Link version to give away! All you have to do is leave a comment on this post to be entered. Contest ends this Sunday at midnight PST.
More information/download the 15 Link version of Iconify for BlackBerry Smartphones
More information/download the 50 Link version of Iconify for BlackBerry Smartphones
A new 5G BlackBerry Android smartphone with a keyboard will arrive in 2021
A new joint announcement from BlackBerry, OnwardMobility, and FIH Mobile lays out the plans for a new 5G BlackBerry Android smartphone with a physical keyboard to be brought to market in North America, and Europe within the first half of 2021.