Fresh from being a finalist in the BlackBerry Developers Challenge, FileScout for BlackBerry has just been realeased and is now available for all to download. Matthias, the developer behind FileScout is always looking for ways to improve FileScout for the end user and is always open to suggestions for for making it better. This time around some nice changes have been implemented so be sure to have a look at the list:
- Display of thumbnails in search result (if thumbnail display is enabled and images are in the 'FileScout Image Cache')
- Thumbnail- Options: New Button to generate all all thumbnails for all images on your device (incl. the SDCard) - this operation can take a while till it's completed - please be patient!
- When resizing images to device resolution size you can now select to keep the aspect ratio of the original image. If this option is selected, then FileScout will cut (left & right or top & bottom) of the image so that it will fit to your device screen resolution.
- User Defined resolution (image resizing) can be now be max 9999 pixel [but it's recommended not use more then 1200px]
- Support for DesktopManager Backup & Restore (FileScout settings)
- A '[W]' in the Screen Title indicating that the background threads (required for Search and other extended features) are still running (after FileScout is started) - once the threads are completed the '[W]'will disappear.
- Integration in the RIMs FileExplorer Application: a 'Explore with FileScout' MenuItem is added
- Search files in the current Directory only function fixed to be usable multiple times
- Potential OutOfMemeory Error during start of FileScout (when the thumbnail store is getting too large)
- Accessing OS5 System Folder for Bold, Bold2, Storm and Storm2, RIM confirmed that they made the System folder in OS5.x read only so files can only be viewed, not modefied.
As always, FileScout remains a donationware application so if you use it, enjoy it, please be sure to offer up a donation to Matthias for his hard work and efforts.