Raise your hand if your handset is your primary camera? As we carry our device everywhere it is no wonder we quickly snap images of our lives through that tiny camera. While I am no expert in photography by any means, that doesn't mean I don't love manipulating or editing my photographs to improve them for posterity.
Rather than use Photoshop on my PC there is Effetica, a 'Built for BlackBerry' photo editor with various manipulation tools and filters to ensure your memories are forever preserved the way you want. It's quick, easy, and allows you to apply more than one filter at a time to an image.
- Customizable auto-levels tool
- Brightness and contrast tool
- Color Balance
- Hue and Saturation
- Invert with Color Channel Selection
- Crop with aspect ratio choices
- Rotate and Flip
- Resize with free and fixed options
- 40+ high quality customizable filters
- 20 highly customizable classic frames
- 40+ high quality customizable overlays
- 10 high quality customizable noise patterns
- 16 high quality customizable surface patterns
- Customizable tilt/shift effects
- Support for output picture quality (use application menu Settings)
- Support for pictures up to 16 MP (4000 pixels largest size)
- Support for landscape mode on Z10 devices
- Effetica is EXIF-friendly, it can properly handle EXIF orientation and preserves all image info in edited images
Effetica is an application similar to Instagram in that you can edit and add filters taken with your device or ones already stored and can share with your friends and followers. In addition to the standard filters, they offer the ability to adjust hue and saturation levels, brightness and contrast, color balance, invert, sharpness, crop or rotate, flip or resize, or add a blur effect just to name a few.
As a native application, selecting each one is easy and smooth. While there is a slight pause to implement, it is a fast process nonetheless. All you need to do is choose the effect from the overflow menu, scroll through the list if more than one option and apply the one you want. Certain tools such as the color balance do offer a slider bar to adjust which takes effect the minute you lift your finger off the screen.
If you worry about copying over your original image, modifications are not permanent and leave the original untouched. At the bottom of the screen there is an undo and redo button though once you exit out of an effect before applying it is reset anyway. Once all your effects have been added, simply tap on the save button at the bottom and a new file is created on your device. However, it does offer SD card support to store images directly there.
For all you amateur or professional photographers out there this is a full featured photo-editing tool. It offers multiple options, a fluid interface to quickly load, apply and save, sharing options, and endless possibilities for the hundreds of images already taken or those still to come. In case you were wondering about where some of your favorite features may be, the developer stated that more tools are on the way in future releases. These include a text tool, gamma correction, color mixer and highlights and shadows.
There is a free demo and premium version available for $3.99 that differ in two respects: the demo saves images with maximum size of 600x600 pixels and does not preserve EXIF information of the original photo, while the premium saves with maximum size of 4000x4000 pixels and does save EXIF data. From loading and editing, to applying and sharing, Effetica gives a great user experience and is compatible with the BlackBerry Q5, Q10, and Z10.
- Fast and easy to use
- Apply multiple filters or effects to the same image
- Offers undo and redo options
- SD card support
- High quality effects
- Quick access to an array of filters and editing tools
- Ability to adjust levels or use auto feature
- For effects that zoom in would like the ability to preview as a whole as well
- Film noise option is not always noticeable in the preview or end result
The Bottom line
They've presented us with a nice array of editing options packaged in an easy to use interface. I find it has a lot of potential to grow even after the initial updates are implemented and is definitely one of my go-to camera utility apps. Whether you're a novice or a professional photographer, you can't go wrong with purchasing the premium version for the convenience of editing, preserving, or having fun with your images no matter where you are.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.