Hello again readers! Dear Berry is here once again with a mailbag full of BlackBerry questions and woes. Today's question comes from a reader who asks?
Will mobile 1 market work on the new BlackBerry passport? I tried it earlier and it was weird. With my Q10 I was able to just click install. With the passport it wants me to zip, unzip etc. Not sure what to do.
Thank you for your question. Yes the 1mobile Market will work on the BlackBerry Passport. You can download it from the BlackBerry Browser using the link. However, there does appear to be an issue when downloading the APK. This is the workaround I used to resolve it.
- Go into the File Manager and locate the 1Mobile file that you downloaded. It should appear as a ZIP file.
- Tap and hold on the 1MobileMarket file and select Properties
- At the bottom of the screen, select Rename.
- Delete the ".zip" text (including the period) so that it reads "1MobileMarket_600.apk"
- It will warn you that changing the file type will cause the file to be unstable. Tap on Yes to continue
- Tap on Done in the upper right hand corner
By utilizing this workaround you should be able to tap on the file and install the application on your device as normal.
Have a question about BlackBerry etiquette? Need advice on how to cope with your BlackBerry addiction? Dear Berry has you covered and there's no question too big or problem too small. Submit any of your BlackBerry woes by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or on Twitter @DearBerryCB.