Running -- something I used to do a lot of when I was younger. I even used to compete when I was in school, but as I grew older sports slowly started to be non-existent in my life. Now, I'm at the point in my life where I want to try to stay in shape as I'm sure a lot of other people do. It's not always easy and we're seeing technology try to help get us back into shape too. Apart from the wearable tech that's emerging, apps have been around for a while. We're going to be looking at an app that aims to help you get up and running.
Couch 2AnyK Pro is an app that wants to get of you off the couch and help get you running. There have been many apps like this around but since I was looking, this is what I came across. It's very simple in its design, nothing fancy. It simply displays a workout plan to get you to running to 5km in nine weeks. And all you do is run three days a week.
At the top you have a date at which you should be able to run 5km by, if you start that day. Then you see the planned running schedule to get you there. Naturally, things will start slowly. Day 1 all you're doing is a 5 minute warm up of brisk walking, then alternating running/jogging for 1 minute and walking for 90 seconds for a total of 20-25 minutes. You can set it so that your phone will vibrate or make a sound (or both) at each interval.
Once complete, you have the option to update your BBM status (if you have turned this setting on) with a Day 1 completed message.
You can jump into any day in order to see what to expect and perhaps mentally prepare yourself for what's to come. As I've said, the UI is very simple but your don't really need it to have any bells and whistles. I like that warm-up and cool downs are included too. There's even alerts if you're overdue a run.
- Full 9 week Couch to 5K program, with timed intervals including warm-up and cool-down
- Native BlackBerry 10 code and UI style for a true BlackBerry user experience
- Native app means that it doesn't need an emulator to run, so it's fast, responsive and uses less battery
- Alert sound and Vibrate on interval change (can be changed in settings)
- BBM™ Integration - Share your completed workouts on your BBM™ profile!
- Workout list auto-scrolls to your last completed workout
- "Start Next Workout" button automatically loads the next workout in the program
- "Next Interval" button allows you to skip ahead during a workout
- Easily toggle a workout complete/incomplete from the list
- Use multi-select to mark a group of workouts complete, great if you had already started training on your own
- Supports all BlackBerry 10 OS versions, and the BlackBerry Q10/ BlackBerry Q5 as well
If you want to get yourself up and running, Couch 2AnyK Pro is a great place to start. It's available for all BlackBerry 10 smartphones and costs $0.99.