There are certain baseline skills and sensibilities that are needed to take great pictures, and we're hoping we can introduce some of those here. Alongside a familiarity with the camera software of the BlackBerry KEYone and its advantages, you'll soon be snapping some great shots for Instagram.
Switch to Pro mode
When you first launch the BlackBerry KEYone camera, you'll be able to pick the default interface. For absolute control, go with Pro mode. This can later be changed by tapping the Mode button within the app. In Pro mode, you'll have a full set of tabs for tweaking white balance, exposure, shutter speed, ISO, and focus.
Remember, when you're manually tweaking these settings, you'll generally want a fast shutter speed for moving subjects and keep ISO as low as possible to avoid noise. Other considerations such as exposure are entirely up to you; play around take some shots that you otherwise wouldn't get when shooting with automatic settings.
Use the volume key to shoot
By default, the volume key will fire the shutter for your picture. This can often be more comfortable than tapping the screen. The feedback of a physical button can provide better confidence when shooting. Alternatively, you can dig into the camera settings and change the volume key to instead alter zoom levels, or just stick to media volume control.
Use the rule of thirds
It's worth your while to turn on guidelines within the camera settings. This makes it easier to compose a photo around the rule of thirds. That is, your points of focus should typically be where the guidelines intersect, slightly off-center on both axes. Aligning other photo elements along the four lines is also a widely accepted practice for taking good photos. Give it a try the next time you're lining up a photo. You won't be disappointed.
Double-press the On/off key to quickly launch the camera
Capturing the moment can be tricky when subjects are moving quickly. By the time you've unlocked your phone and launched the camera app, the opportunity may have passed. Luckily, you can launch directly to the BlackBerry KEYone camera by pressing the On/off key on the left side twice in quick succession. This works from the lock screen or when you're in any app. If for whatever reason you want to disable this feature, it's under Gestures section of the Settings menu.
Though the rear camera on the BlackBerry KEYone has electronic image stabilization to compensate for day-to-day camera shake, for your best shots, you'll want to keep things steady. In a perfect scenario, this would involve a tripod and mount, but that's not always practical. Resting the phone on a flat surface is the easiest way to do this. If that's not possible, hold the phone with both hands and brace your elbows against your body.
Be sure to check out the BlackBerry Mobile Instagram account to see some stunning photos shot on the BlackBerry KEYone.
Unlock your productivity with the Android-powered BlackBerry KEYone!
- View all of our BlackBerry KEYone Help and How-To Guides
- Join our BlackBerry KEYone forums
- Learn more about the BlackBerry KEYone
- Where to buy the BlackBerry KEYone
- How to get the most out of Hub on the BlackBerry KEYone
- These BlackBerry KEYone launcher tweaks will amp up your productivity
- Five great Android Nougat features on the BlackBerry KEYone
- Five hidden BlackBerry KEYone features you might not know
- Getting started with photos and videos on the BlackBerry KEYone
- Top BlackBerry KEYone keyboard tricks that will change your life
DISTINCTLY DIFFERENT, DISTINCTLY BLACKBERRY
BlackBerry KEYone pairs the best of BlackBerry’s software and security with TCL Communication’s commitment to delivering high-quality, reliable smartphones to customers around the world.
Beyond the iconic BlackBerry design that’s been curated for the modern user, the BlackBerry KEYone comes with a number of additional features that truly reinvents communications for the professional consumer.
- Built to last – An iconic BlackBerry smartphone made reliable for the demanding user, the BlackBerry KEYone combines a sleek aluminum frame and soft grip textured back built to offer the best in durability.
- Runs Android™ 7.1 Nougat – Giving users access to the entire Google Play store and apps - and will receive Google™ security patch updates.
- The keyboard reimagined – Forget what you knew about keyboards, the BlackBerry Smart Keyboard goes beyond typing. It can be easily programmed to launch up to 52 customizable shortcuts, providing even greater ease of use. And use it to scroll through web pages, the picture gallery or to take a picture.
- Loaded with BlackBerry® Hub® – Bringing all your messages into one consolidated place; including emails, texts and messages from any social media account.
- Unrivaled security features – The BlackBerry KEYone is designed to offer the most secure Android smartphone experience possible.
- Long battery life – Featuring the largest battery ever found in a BlackBerry smartphone, the BlackBerry KEYone offers roughly 26 hours of mixed use, thanks to its 3505mAh battery.
- Impressive photo quality – The BlackBerry KEYone includes a 12MP rear camera with an industry leading camera sensor that captures sharp, crisp photos in any light. And for when you have to take a video conference on the go, it includes an 8MP front camera with fixed focus and 84-degree wide angle lens.
- 4.5-inch IPS LCD display
- 1620x1080 resolution
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 625 processor
- 8x 2.0Ghz Cortex A53 cores
- 3GB RAM
- 32GB internal storage
- microSD card slot
- 12MP ƒ/20 PDAF rear camera
- Dual-tone LED flash
- 8MP ƒ/2.2 front camera
- 3505 mAh battery
- USB-C, Quick Charge 3.0 + boost charging
- Android 7.1.1 Nougat
- DTEK security suite
- FIPS 140-2 full disk encryption