To get the most out of the BlackBerry KEYone, you'll have to dig deep. There are hidden features that will bring your productivity to the next level, and we're going to help you find them. Some of these you might know, some of them you might not. Take a look and discover them for yourself.
Double-tap to lock the screen
Double-tapping a blank area of the home screen will immediately lock the device. This can be more practical if the BlackBerry KEYone spends more time on your desk or in a cradle than in your hand, when the On/off key on the left side might be more convenient. The double-tap can also wake the BlackBerry KEYone. Though this might not be great if you still have to use your fingerprint or PIN to unlock anyway, it can be handy if you've enabled Smart Lock, which skips authentication while within designated locations.
Double-press the On/off key to launch the camera
It's possible to map the camera app to the physical keyboard or the right-side convenience key, but there's no reason to, since by default double-pressing the On/off key will get you there too. This works even from the lock screen! Be sure to remember this one when the moment to take the shot is fleeting. This feature can be disabled in Settings under Gestures.
Switch to Device Search
By default, the keyboard lets you launch into apps and shortcuts when typing from the home screen. You may not have that many repeated actions to launch into, though. Or maybe remembering what all of those shortcuts are isn't worth it. For those that are doing something different every day, it may be better to set the keyboard to launch a Device Search instead. This will span content in your Contacts, e-mail, calendars, and help, not to mention offer the ability to extend search out to other apps.
- Press and hold on a blank area of the home screen.
- Tap Settings.
- Tap Typing action.
- Tap Start a search.
Double-tap the Recent key to go to the last app
The Recent key (◻), just above the keyboard, lets you see all of your most recently-opened apps. Odds are in most cases you're just going back to the last one used though, and don't need to go rifling back through two, three, or four of the most recent apps. When you just need the last app used, double tap the Recent key and you'll jump right to it - no need to go rifling through the apps list.
Make the Productivity tab nearly invisible
The Productivity tab on the right side may be a distraction when working in other apps, even though it's only a sliver along the side of the screen. Dig into the features a bit though, and you'll notice you have complete control over the opacity of the tab. It can be almost completely transparent and still be activated.
You'll still need to have a rough idea of where it is, but if you make it large enough, it shouldn't be a problem. Or, you could shrink it to even further minimize the visual footprint. You'll be able to enjoy all of the benefits of quick access to e-mail, calendar items, and more without any of the visual noise.
Unlock your productivity with the Android-powered BlackBerry KEYone!
- View all of our BlackBerry KEYone Help and How-To Guides
- Join our BlackBerry KEYone forums
- Learn more about the BlackBerry KEYone
- Where to buy the BlackBerry KEYone
- How to get the most out of Hub on the BlackBerry KEYone
- These BlackBerry KEYone launcher tweaks will amp up your productivity
- Five great Android Nougat features on the BlackBerry KEYone
- Five hidden BlackBerry KEYone features you might not know
- Getting started with photos and videos on the BlackBerry KEYone
- Top BlackBerry KEYone keyboard tricks that will change your life
DISTINCTLY DIFFERENT, DISTINCTLY BLACKBERRY
BlackBerry KEYone pairs the best of BlackBerry’s software and security with TCL Communication’s commitment to delivering high-quality, reliable smartphones to customers around the world.
Beyond the iconic BlackBerry design that’s been curated for the modern user, the BlackBerry KEYone comes with a number of additional features that truly reinvents communications for the professional consumer.
- Built to last – An iconic BlackBerry smartphone made reliable for the demanding user, the BlackBerry KEYone combines a sleek aluminum frame and soft grip textured back built to offer the best in durability.
- Runs Android™ 7.1 Nougat – Giving users access to the entire Google Play store and apps - and will receive Google™ security patch updates.
- The keyboard reimagined – Forget what you knew about keyboards, the BlackBerry Smart Keyboard goes beyond typing. It can be easily programmed to launch up to 52 customizable shortcuts, providing even greater ease of use. And use it to scroll through web pages, the picture gallery or to take a picture.
- Loaded with BlackBerry® Hub® – Bringing all your messages into one consolidated place; including emails, texts and messages from any social media account.
- Unrivaled security features – The BlackBerry KEYone is designed to offer the most secure Android smartphone experience possible.
- Long battery life – Featuring the largest battery ever found in a BlackBerry smartphone, the BlackBerry KEYone offers roughly 26 hours of mixed use, thanks to its 3505mAh battery.
- Impressive photo quality – The BlackBerry KEYone includes a 12MP rear camera with an industry leading camera sensor that captures sharp, crisp photos in any light. And for when you have to take a video conference on the go, it includes an 8MP front camera with fixed focus and 84-degree wide angle lens.
- 4.5-inch IPS LCD display
- 1620x1080 resolution
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 625 processor
- 8x 2.0Ghz Cortex A53 cores
- 3GB RAM
- 32GB internal storage
- microSD card slot
- 12MP ƒ/20 PDAF rear camera
- Dual-tone LED flash
- 8MP ƒ/2.2 front camera
- 3505 mAh battery
- USB-C, Quick Charge 3.0 + boost charging
- Android 7.1.1 Nougat
- DTEK security suite
- FIPS 140-2 full disk encryption