If you happened to open up BlackBerry App World recently and noticed some changes you're not alone. In fact, RIM has sent out notification to BlackBerry developers letting them know that new category changes for applications are now in effect for BlackBerry App World and to adjust their apps accordingly if needed. The changes are as follows:
- News: The News category has been expanded to include magazines. This category is now called News and Magazines and includes Blogs as a subcategory.
- Beta: The Beta category is discontinued. The apps located the Beta category have been moved to relevant categories.
- Reference and eBooks & Education: The Books and Reference category has been divided in to separate categories so that these are now individual categories respectively. The Reference category includes Education. This new category is Education & Reference.
- Shopping: The Shopping category has been renamed Lifestyle.
- Maps & Navigation: The Maps & Navigation category now includes Travel and has been renamed Navigation and Travel.
- Music Creation (*NEW*): There is a new subcategory Music Creation available under the Music and Audio category.
- Children’s Categories (*NEW*): There are two new children’s focused categories: New Children’s Games category within the Games Channel, New Children’s Books subcategory within the Books category
While most of the changes are minimal, the removal of the beta section is a rather interesting one. RIM has spent a lot of time revamping the BlackBerry Beta Zone for their applications so it begs the question how BlackBerry 10 will handle betas, if at all. Then again, the beta section in BlackBerry App World was never really used by RIM themselves.
Via: BlackBerry Cool
A new 5G BlackBerry Android smartphone with a keyboard will arrive in 2021
A new joint announcement from BlackBerry, OnwardMobility, and FIH Mobile lays out the plans for a new 5G BlackBerry Android smartphone with a physical keyboard to be brought to market in North America, and Europe within the first half of 2021.