Howdy and welcome to the weekly app roundup! We’ve corralled some apps we reckon you folks want to take a gander at. It was all about CES and the PlayBook this week in the blogs. I can’t wait until I get my hands on one! Maybe Kevin can somehow sneak one out of there for me. Today, we announce the winners of the Holidays 8.0 giveaway and also give you the chance to win one of 25 copies of imgEdit 2.0! Have a rootin’ tootin’ weekend! Giddy up!
Freebies of the Week: LayerLoka, Tip Calculator, ShowMe! Weather
In Case You Missed It: Memory4Kidz, LogicMail
New This Week: Running Icon, Total Pregnant, Advanced GPS Tracker
Cool at BlackBerry App World: NavTrack Europe
Contest: Win one of 25 copies of imgEdit!
Freebies Of The Week:
LayerLoka - The LayarLoka BlackBerry Application. This simple, yet functional, app will change the background picture of your home screen into the location of your present position. Using Google Maps, users can zoom in on these background images. Utilizing the Location Based Service (LBS) technology, the app generates the information through triangulation.
Tip Calculator - This application calculates tip costs, stores your tip result in a local database, and uses a result mailer. It is very simple to use- just type a number in and click Calculate! The application takes into account your tipping percentage, as well as the amount of people chipping in. You can email the results to anyone interested, or perhaps someone who skipped out of paying.
ShowMe! Weather - ShowMe! Weather is a free, convenient, light-weight weather utility. It gives you quick access to weather in multiple cities of your own choosing. It provides both the current weather conditions and a 4 day forecast. Current Weather details include: Weather conditions (Icon and text), Temperature and Humidity.
- Desktop Weather Icon with current temperature
- Track the weather in multiple global cities/locations
- User defined temperature scale (Celsius or Fahrenheit)
- User defined weather locations
- User defined update timing (30, 60, 180 min, etc.)
- Weather provided by Google
- Ad supported
Free from the CrackBerry App Store
In Case You Missed It:
Memory4Kidz - The first Playbook app to hit BlackBerry App World! Memory4Kidz is a simple memory game that allows children to focus on the basics of colors, numbers and shapes by choosing the appropriate game type. Parents can also sit with their kids and help them learn along the way; if you can't stand being away from your kids (and PlayBook) for that long.
LogicMail - LogicMail is a J2ME E-Mail client supporting IMAP and POP, and designed to run on BlackBerry devices. Its goal is to provide an alternative to the service-oriented "push" E-Mail system that the device normally provides, so we can also use our conventional E-Mail services.
Features of 2.0 beta include:
- Step-by-step setup wizard
- All network communications now happens in the background, and mail data is now locally cached
- Improved look and feel
- Support for both local and remote Sent/Drafts folders
- Ability to copy messages between folders, even across accounts
- Improved message composition, with an Outbox that holds messages until successfully sent
- Keyboard shortcuts mimicking the native messaging application, and touchscreen device support
- Able to read E-Mails written in many different languages and character encodings
- Supports OS 4.5, 4.6, 4.7, 5.0, and 6.0
New This Week:
RunningIcon - Do you always forget to quit the application and leave it in the background running? Do you always wonder how many apps are running in the background?
RunningIcon is a small utility which displays the total number of applications running in the background on the Notification area. The Notification area is on the top of the Homescreen and icons are also displayed on some application title bar. You can visually and easily see how many applications are running. If you have left applications in the background you can easily open the Application Ribbon eg: press the menu key on the Homescreen to close the application you want.
An exclusion feature that you can use to exclude apps from the count. eg: check to exclude all the system apps that are always running in the background. This will be easier to tell if you have apps running in the background. The RunningIcon and the count will be display if more than one app is still running. You can also optionally set to vibrate whenever you leave applications running in the background.
$0.99 from the CrackBerry App Store
Total Pregnant - Total Pregnant helps you capture every moment of your pregnancy – directly from your BlackBerry. Just remember to put your BlackBerry down (just for a moment) when the baby is born.
- Track the number of days to becoming pregnant with this application
- Detailed weekly information about the baby & your body
- Plan your baby's birth using the birth plan in the application
- Pre-plan the essential things for your new born baby with the help of Total Pregnant app
- Record whenever the baby kicks & check the kick history whenever you want
- Record contractions and see contraction history
- Think your baby’s name in advance! Choose from the list of name we provide
- Graphical representation of your weight & waist
- Doctor appointments, additional info, tracking & much more provided in this useful application
- Exciting backgrounds to choose from
- Share on Facebook & Twitter
$3.99 from the CrackBerry App Store
Advanced GPS Tracker - This app requires a working GPS receiver (either built-in or external). Some carries lock out GPS compatibility. To check if your phone has a working gps receiver, open Blackberry Maps or Google Maps and try to find your location. If it can pinpoint your location within 10 meters, you have a working GPS receiver.
This app requires Blackberry OS v4.6 or above. To check, go to Options > About and read the 3rd line. Advanced GPS Tracker allows you to turn your GPS-enabled BlackBerry in to a powerful mapping and tracking device! This app uses your BlackBerrys built-in GPS receiver to give you real time data on your current speed, heading, and location. You can record multiple tracks which show the total distance travelled, duration, elevation profile, and speed profile. It will even automatically detect if you were on foot, and tell you how much time was spent walking or running!
- Show position in decimal degrees or DMS format
- Beautiful and intuitive user interface
- Works in Metric and Imperial units
- Export to .KML or .CSV
- Excellent customer support
You can even save your tracks to .KML files to open in Google Earth, or .CSV files to read in a spreadsheet program!
On sale for $4.99 from the CrackBerry App Store
Cool In BlackBerry App World:
NavTrack BlackBerry Navigation app European Edition - NavTrack is a GPS navigation app for your smart phone. Simply download the app for your BlackBerry and use your mobile to find where you want to go anywhere in Europe. Convenient for driving or walking, you will view your precise position in real-time using reliable 2D and 3D interactive maps and with a built-in phone menu can still make and take calls without switching screens.
- Voice Instructions - Convenient voice instructions tell you every turn to make so you don’t have to take your eyes off the road or your phone out of your pocket.
- Easy-to-use - User-friendly dashboard is easy to navigate and gives you the option to view maps in 2D & 3D.
- Ideal for driving or walking - With NavTrack conveniently to hand on your mobile device you can use it whenever you need directions.
- Automatic re-routing - If you take a wrong turn or a road is closed, NavTrack has a built-in automatic re-router so you can find an alternative route without any hassle.
- Estimated time to destination - Knowing what time you’re due to arrive gives you time to plan ahead and decide what you’re going to do when you get there.
- Day and night mode - Automatically switches between day and night so you can concentrate on the road.
- Distance to the next manoeuvre - NavTrack not only identifies your next turn but also tells you how far away you are giving you plenty of time to slow down or change lanes and manoeuvre into position.
- Automatic zoom - Narrows your geographic position so you can easily check your location at a glance.
- POI search and phone call - NavTrack records where you want to be and where you have been and at the same time allows you to make phone calls without switching screens.
- Highly accurate and reliable street information - The interactive street maps are updated every three months four times a year. The map information is highly reliable and is viewed in real-time both on your mobile handset and remote locations such as your home computer.
imgEdit - imgEdit is the ultimate and all in one image editing application for the BlackBerry. You can use imgEdit to manipulate the image such as rotating in 90, 180 and 270 degrees, flip and mirror the image, add special effect such as GreyScale, Sepia, Negative, Emboss, Scatter and many more effects. If the image is too big to send via email you can resize the image, add custom text, import a frame image to put around the image. For advanced users you can use the RGB and HSB feature to alter the color of the image. An added bonus is the Warhol effect. Changes in the image can be saved in JPG format or email to anyone.
imgEdit integrates with the Media, Files and Camera application. Take a picture with the camera app and edit the picture right there. This is a perfect app when you need to resize the image for email. Use the Import picture to add frames and custom graphics to spice up the picture.
- The only image editing of this kind for the BlackBerry
- Supports Bmp, GIF, JPG and PNG pictures
- Integrates with the Media, Files and Camera applications
- Rotate, Crop, Resize, Zoom, Flip and Mirror image
- Add special effects like: Greyscale, Sepia, Negative, Interlace, Paint, Scatter and more
- 14 effects, including a special Warhol effect
- Change image RGB, HSB and Brightness. Total control of color imaging
- Set the image to Wallpaper
- Simple line, circle and rectangle drawing for Touch screen devices
- Add text to the image
- Freehand selection for better control of selecting effects to apply. eg: apply effect to only the selection or background
- Import any picture into the editing picture such as Frame and text
- Keyboard short cuts
- Save image or screen
- Email image or screen
- Undo function
Currently on sale for $3.99 from the CrackBerry App Store
We have 25 copies of imgEdit to give away! All you have to do is leave a comment to be entered. Winners will be announced next week. Now, for the 10 winners of Holidays 2011 Edition.
*Congrats to everyone! You should receive a message this week, so reply ASAP*
Until Next Week..
Well there you have it folks! I hope you enjoyed the apps we managed to corral this week. If you have any information on software (including news and tips), or if you are developer looking to be in the spotlight (or contest) let me know via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or on Twitter at twitter.com/ryanblundell.
Of course, we also have many more New BlackBerry Apps, Updated BlackBerry Apps and Free BlackBerry Apps available at ShopCrackBerry.com. Be sure to visit our software store for more great deals on BlackBerry Applications!