Hitting the stage at Mobile World Congress to announce the latest happenings from Nokia, Stephen Elop confirmed that BBM will be coming to Lumia devices, joining Android and iOS users who recently saw the messaging service arrive on their platforms.
BBM continues to grow in popularity as millions of people use our mobile platform for chatting and connecting with friends or colleagues, and we are very excited that we will soon welcome Windows Phone and Nokia X users to the BBM community," said John Sims, President, Global Enterprise Solutions at BlackBerry.
Today marks an exciting moment for Nokia," said Bryan Biniak, Vice President and GM of Developer Relations, Nokia Corporation. "By bringing BBM to the Windows Phone and Nokia X communities, our customers will be able to experience this popular global messaging app.
The topic of BBM on Windows Phone was one of much debate for a while there, so it's great to see those on Windows Phone and the new Nokia X platform will be now be able to enjoy it. Full press release is below for your reading pleasure.
BlackBerry Announces BBM for Windows Phone and Nokia X Platforms
MOBILE WORLD CONGRESS 2014, BARCELONA--(Marketwired - Feb. 24, 2014) - BlackBerry Limited (NASDAQ:BBRY)(TSX:BB), a global leader in mobile communications, today announced that BBM(TM) will be made available to Windows Phone and Nokia X customers in the coming months.
BBM is a premier mobile messaging platform that offers best-in-class collaboration tools such as BBM Groups, BBM Voice and BBM Channels. BBM users rely on the privacy, immediacy and control that are at the core of BBM.
"BBM continues to grow in popularity as millions of people use our mobile platform for chatting and connecting with friends or colleagues, and we are very excited that we will soon welcome Windows Phone and Nokia X users to the BBM community," said John Sims, President, Global Enterprise Solutions at BlackBerry.
"Today marks an exciting moment for Nokia," said Bryan Biniak, Vice President and GM of Developer Relations, Nokia Corporation. "By bringing BBM to the Windows Phone and Nokia X communities, our customers will be able to experience this popular global messaging app."
Windows Phone and Nokia X customers will soon have access to a comprehensive suite of messaging and collaboration features, including:
- BBM Chats: Have instant BBM Chats, including a Multi-Chat option, and receive real-time confirmations when messages are delivered and read (Ds & Rs)
- Personalization: Create a profile that can be easily personalized with profile pictures/avatars and status updates that contacts can see in the Updates area of BBM
- BBM Groups: Now, with BBM Groups, up to 50 people can be added to the conversation. Chat, share photos and schedules with even more friends
- BBM Voice: Free voice calls between BBM contacts on Windows Phone, Nokia X, iPhone, Android and BlackBerry anywhere in the world using data or WiFi connection (Data Plan or WiFi required for BBM Voice)
- BBM Channels: Join conversations on BBM Channels between people, brands and communities. Create a BBM channel to share thoughts, ideas and passions. Or, subscribe to a channel to join conversations with others who have shared interests.
- One-click sharing: BBM users on Windows Phone, Nokia X, Android, iPhone and BlackBerry devices have access to fast one-click sharing of photos, documents, voice notes and more.
- New Emoticons: We now have over 100 new emoticons to help people say what they mean and make their point in a fun and visual way.
Pricing and Availability
BBM will be available as a free download from the Windows Phone Store this summer. BBM for Nokia X will be available from the Nokia Store when the Nokia X platform launches.
- Inside BlackBerry Blog Post (http://blogs.blackberry.com/2014/02/bbm-windows-phone/)
- BBM information (www.bbm.com)
- BBM PIN Card Generator (http://mypin.bbm.com/)
Introduced in 2005, BBM set the standard for mobile messaging and continues to drive innovation in messaging and private social networking.Today, BBM is one of the largest private social mobile networks, driving real, active conversations. Customers love BBM for its privacy, controls and immediacy with Delivered and Read statuses and message-in-progress notices.
A global leader in mobile communications, BlackBerry(R) revolutionized the mobile industry when it was introduced in 1999. Today, BlackBerry aims to inspire the success of our millions of customers around the world by continuously pushing the boundaries of mobile experiences. Founded in 1984 and based in Waterloo, Ontario, BlackBerry operates offices in North America, Europe, Asia Pacific and Latin America. The Company trades under the ticker symbols "BB" on the Toronto Stock Exchange and "BBRY" on the NASDAQ. For more information, visit www.blackberry.com.
BBM beta for Windows Phone gets small update to version 184.108.40.206
A new update for BlackBerry's BBM messaging app for Windows Phone is now available for download, and it's the first such update since the closed beta for the app went live a few days ago for its selected users. The version number for the app has only changed slightly, from 220.127.116.11 to 18.104.22.168 and there's no indication of a change log. Based on that, we would expect that this update is...
Windows Phone BBM beta test program already filled up
BlackBerry is no longer taking sign ups for the closed beta test of its upcoming BBM app for Windows Phone, with users now being asked to register for a waitlist. This news, which was not unexpected, comes less than 24 hours after BlackBerry started taking signups for the Windows Phone BBM beta test. It's currently unknown just how many people were accepted into the beta test. While...
BBM arriving on Windows Phone in July
On this mornings BlackBerry earnings call, CEO John Chen dropped word that BBM for Windows Phone will be arriving in July. We already knew that is was coming, but now we know for sure that in just a few weeks Windows Phone users will be able to get in on the BBM action as well. After the launch, BBM will be available on BlackBerry, iOS, Android and Windows Phone — making it a true...
Coke and Olympics BBM Channels doubled subscribers after cross-platform release
CrackBerry caught up with BBM's senior director of business development, David Proulx, at Mobile World Congress to talk about the week's announcement surrounding BlackBerry. In addition to touching on the Nokia preload announcement made at MWC, Proulx mentioned that the growth in Channels usership following the Android and iOS release was impressive — 100% in the case of the official...