With headless BlackBerry 10 apps now making their way to BlackBerry World, Watcher is the perfect example of the kind of application that many folk would want to have running on their BlackBerry, but not necessarily as an Active Frame. At the time of publication it's also worth noting that an update to Watcher is pending with BlackBerry World, so if you download the app and don't see all the features just be patient - the update could drop at any time.
Watcher is a simple - yet effective tool which allows you to customize a bunch of options within BlackBerry 10 - from the LED (which us BlackBerry people love so much) to blocking phone calls. As you will see from the list below, the features it offers are rather extensive. The developer has clearly put a lot of time and effort into Watcher and the app is priced at the lowest price point (excluding free) of just £0.75/$0.99 - a bargain if you ask me.
You'll need to be running BlackBerry 10.2 or above and it's worth noting that if you are using a leaked version of an OS you may encounter one or two hiccups, but that's to be expected.
With the combination of a smooth, fluid, clean user interface and the massive amount of options available I suspect that Watcher should be rather popular. Sound off in the comments with your thoughts.
*Update* After speaking with the developer it now appears that users need 10.2.1 for all features. It’s kind of a strange one as the latest version works perfectly well on 10.2.0 yet BlackBerry World have made the decision that it will only be available to users on 10.2.1. A weird decision but it’s their choice at the end of the day.
- Option to vibrate when an outgoing phone call gets connected: You won't have to put the device on your ear too early
- Option to vibrate when a phone call gets disconnected or failed.
- Option to flash the LED when there is an incoming call with different selectable colors, support multi-color flashing.
- Option to blink LED if your device connected to a cellular network just like the old BBOS LED for Radio Signal feature. Support 7 colors.
- Option to flash LED for new SMS/Text Message, support multi-color flashing.
- Option to flash LED for new Email, support multi-color flashing.
- Auto switching profile to the suitable state during particular period of time. E.g. You can set the profile to Silent between 23:00 to 07:00 so you can sleep well without any disturbs by notifications of the phone. The cool thing is you won't have to do it manually, Watcher will automatically change profile to Silent from 23:00 and switch back Notification to Normal from 7:00.
- Holster Profile: Option to enable changing profile when the device is IN/OUT of Holster.
- Auto change wallpaper based on your selected folder which contains images every predefined period of time (Minutes).
- Auto change wallpaper when unlock screen. In this mode, every time you unlock the screen, you will see different wallpaper. Is it lovely? NOTE: Please don't use Picture Password if using this feature. It will conflict and cause big trouble. I'm contacting BlackBerry for this issue.
- Option to play sound when the screen is locked/unlocked.
- Option to block particular SMS, Email based on phone number, email address, email domain and keyword. E.g. if you input a domain yahoo.com then all emails come from this domain will be deleted automatically.
- Option to block all incoming phone calls till turn OFF this feature.
- Option to block all incoming phone call in particular period of time. E.g. setting blocking all incoming calls between 23:00 to 07:00.
- Option to play sound when the charger is plugged in/out
- Backup/Restore all settings
- Option to clean log
- Enable/Disable Logging into Hub