Vlingo 1.1 Open Beta: reply, forward, better connections
The vlingo 1.1 beta has been expanded to everyone who's interested! Anyone who wants to download can now do so from: http://www.vlingo.com/vlingo/go?r=10
The biggest advancements in vlingo 1.1 are the ability to forward & reply to emails and text messages, and better connection handling. Details of what's new after the jump!
- Reply to and forward messages using voice
- You can now "reply with vlingo," "reply all with vlingo" and "forward with vlingo" (simply access these options by hitting the menu button when viewing a message - these are currently not spoken commands).
- Punctuation and automatic capitalization
- Recently vlingo added automatic capitalization of proper nouns and the first letter after punctuation. Try speaking "period," "exclamation point," or "question mark, followed by another sentence.
Vlingo 1.1 Key Bug Fixes and Network Connection Improvements
- This version should fix the problem where vlingo was unable to run because it thought it needed WiFi permissions on a non-WiFi device
- If you have a WiFi device: Vlingo 1.1 no longer requires you to turn off WiFi when you are not connected via the WiFi network.
- Vlingo 1.1 offers a more robust set of connection options. If you previously were unable to connect to vlingo or received frequent timeout errors, this update offers users additional options for establishing a successful connection. Please see below for additional options should connection problems still occur.
- Improved permissions management.
Getting vlingo on Your BlackBerry
The 1.1 beta is available to all. You can find the beta software at:
I'm already using the 1.1 beta. Is this a new version?
Yes. If you are already using the 1.1 beta, you'll soon see an upgrade notice that will ask you to upgrade to this version. You don't need to click the link above, though you may do so if you'd like.
How do I provide feedback?
Once you download the beta and try it out, vlingo wants your feedback. You can do this in one of two ways:
- Use the "Send Feedback" link in the vlingo software. You can access it on the vlingo home screen, or from the menu available from any vlingo screen.
- If for some reason you can't use the Send Feedback link, email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Remember - specificity helps. Vlingo is looking for feedback so they can get ready for the general 1.1 release.
New Connections Options
Vlingo 1.1 offers some additional connection options. If you are receiving request timeout or connection failure messages, try changing the vlingo "Connection Type" setting. The different options are:
- Auto. With this setting, vlingo will try to determine the best connection itself. Try this first and leave it here if it works. If you have errors or extremely long response times, then try the settings below.
- Direct TCP. Typically this provides the fastest connection. If you have a GSM phone, make sure that your APN is set correctly. For instructions, see the FAQ "Request Timeout" question at http://www.vlingo.com/faq.html.
- BIS. This tends to be slightly slower, but if Direct TCP doesn't work then this typically will.
- MDS. This option is available for people whose phones are on a corporate BES server. If other connections are slow or unavailable, try this to see if it works better.