Video Proof: BlackBerry App Suite Running on WinMob
Update - Ronen posted more details. We have them after the jump! *
This isn't the best video footage I have ever seen, but it does qualify as proof that the images we saw yesterday of the BlackBerry Application Suite running on an Windows Mobile powered HTC Touch Pro were legit.
Ahh..if only this were officially available right now. This round of the Smartphone Round Robin has me using an HTC Fuze. The experience would be much less painful to this CrackBerry Addict if only I could be running the BB App Suite on it! If somebody wants to anonymously send me a copy, I'd appreciate it! :-)
[ Berry Review ]
Some BlackBerry Application Suite Details.. via BerryReview.
- Its a application that runs on Windows Mobile 6 devices
- It can startup when the device boots
- Features almost exactly the same as RIMs native OS including email & maps support
- Supports IT policies inside the application along with BlackBerry MDS
- It is based on OS 4.2.1 but that will change soon
- Navigation is through a Touchscreen, Dpad, or keyboard
- WM can connect to a separate APN, simultaneous APN connections are supported (You can connect to a carrier APN via WinMo and Blackberry APN via BAS) This is a HUGE improvement over BlackBerry connect.
- BlackBerry Email including attachments
- RIM Instant Message clients work Gtalk, Yahoo IM, AIM, Windows Live
- Can send and receive PIN messages and BlackBerry Messenger
- Supports BES sync of calendar, tasks, address book, & memos
- PIM/Email databases, unlike BB Connect, are separate. Thus you can have two Exchange accounts (one via WM, one via BES) syncing fully.
- Browser works just like BlackBerry browser allowing or intranet access on BES
- Integrates with the phone so you can make calls and all even from links on websites
- Allows for caller ID in the phone application
- You can access your windows mobile files from the BlackBerry OS though the opposite is not possible
- You can easily switch between the BlackBerry and Windows Mobile OS
- Supports easy switching between landscape and portrait view
- It works with BIS 2.4+ or BES or both
- Blackberry Maps is there but it is not location aware.
- It cannot access physical hardware, such as GPS, Bluetooth, though since calls are through WM, you can use a BT headset.
- Video play is not supported.
- You can install most BB apps, though some may not support VGA resolutions (should be fine on HTC Kaiser, as it is QVGA)
- Currently not all WM devices are supported, only HTC Kaiser, HTC Raphael and HTC Niki. Xperia X1 support is coming down the pipe.
- App uses 32 Mb (1Mbx32 files) to simulate BB filesystem