While it's not the OS 2.0 we'd all like to see, the word on the street is that an upcoming BlackBerry PlayBook Tablet OS update is on the way. The update will bring nothing new in terms of features, but it will include a few minor tweaks and fixes that have been bugging some users. As posted in the BlackBerry Beta Zone forums:
I just wanted to let you know that we're working on an interim Tablet OS software update to precede the 2.0 release in February. It won't have any new features (we're still perfecting those!), but a good percentage of the content came from this community.
Here is a list of some of the included changes (should make some of you happy):
- Daylight Savings Time: updated some time zones
- Updated Bluetooth and Wi-Fi drivers improving co-existence and connectivity
- BlackBerry App World account payments reliability improvements
- Improvements to VPN connection reliability
- Addressed some scenarios where BlackBerry Desktop Software would not restore applications to the PlayBook
You'll see this update within a few weeks. I know some of you wanted more in the interim, but the focus is going into making things solid for 2.0. For what impact this community did have on this update, I thank you!
I can update this thread when it becomes available. In the mean time, feel free to share your thoughts!
We'll still have to hold out until at least February for OS 2.0, but it's always nice to see an update regardless. This one will be a welcome update for PlayBook users and hopefully RIM will continue to pump out the fixes until OS 2.0 hits.