It was only recently that we posted a poll asking if BlackBerry 10 users preferred to use the native browser or a third party application for watching YouTube videos. The results were pretty conclusive with two thirds of votes going towards the browser option. However, there is now a new kid in town if you fancy trying out a native BlackBerry 10 YouTube application and that's SuperTube.
SuperTube for YouTube is free to download, however there are some limitations with the free edition. I was happy to pay via an in-app purchase for the pro version so I could sign into my YouTube account - giving me full access to my playlists, favorites etc.
Even after the poll I'm still an app kinda guy and SuperTube is up there with the best - that's for sure. I just love the whole BlackBerry 10 feeling when it comes to an app like this. Everything runs so smoothly and all the features are easily accessible from the one tab at the bottom left of the display.
In terms of features that the pro version has to offer they are huge - as you'll see below:
- BlackBerry® 10 native look and feel.
- BBM connected application.
- Key shortcuts for devices with physical keyboard (Q10 and Q5).
- View YouTube videos on your Smart TV, PS3, PC browser or any other device that support leanback (experimental)
- Support of VEVO videos
- Bright or Dark theme for video list
- Switch video quality 144p, 240p, 360p, 720p and 1080p when available as default or while watching
- Choose different preferred resolution to play when connected to Wi-Fi or to mobile data
- Built-in video player
- Continue listen to videos while in active frame
- Keep listen to videos while performing searches and other application functions by swiping the player
- Current video thumbnail, title and state (play/pause) displayed in the Active frame
- Search videos with sort and filters parameters within a handy pull down to reveal page
- See and post comments and replies
- Choose what you want to see when application starts (PL, subscriptions, category etc) - Rate, share videos and copy video link to clipboard to use elsewhere
- Share also entire playlist or favorites video links
- Manage Subscriptions, Playlists, Favorites, Watch Later - "Open in" and "Share" YouTube link from other applications supported to play the video with Super2
- Categories from YouTube (games, music, news etc.)
- Search history and YouTube suggests while typing.
- Play all supported video files on your phone stored in video, camera, downloads folder and SD card - Choose different kind of UI layout also with pinch to zoom
- Automatically play the next video.
Sounds pretty sweet don't you think? Hit up the comments with your feedback if you'd be so kind.