Sprint has a new protection plan for both your phone and the data on it. Dubbed "Sprint Total Equipment Protection Plus", the plan costs $13-a-month-per-device and adds data security, automatic media backups, and personalized tech support on top of the existing damage, loss, and theft insurance that is part of the standard $11-a-month Total Equipment Protection package.
The Sprint Protect app is part of the TEP Plus add-on, and it's powered by long-time device insurer Asurion. Here's a list of what's included with the app, though it's worth noting that not all features will be available on all platforms, depending on the capabilities and permissions of the operating system.
- Automatically back up and secure data
- Identify threats with built-in antivirus and privacy protection
- Access monitoring and optimization tools to maximize battery life and improve a phone's overall performance (Android only)
- Remotely find a phone from the secure web portal using GPS or lock and erase personal information from a missing phone (lock is Android only)
- Provide one-click direct access to a tech expert for premium support to address any smartphone issue
That's all in addition to the next-day loss, theft, damage, and malfunction replacement offered by the standard TEP plan.
It's worth noting that many manufacturers cover a lot of those bases, particularly with services like Find my iPhone, Android Device Manager, BlackBerry Protect, and Windows Phone's "find my phone" feature. And virus protection, while something that makes the news all too often, is hardly a concern for the overwhelmingly vast majority of smartphone users.
But, if that sort of thing appeals to your needs and desires for deeper and more comprehensive protection on all levels, Sprint now offers it. Is anybody interested in this sort of everything-on-your-phone-and-the-phone-itself protection from your carrier?