Sprint Launches BlackBerry Curve 8350i for Customers Wanting the Most Advanced Push-to-Talk BlackBerry Smartphone Ever
First push-to-talk BlackBerry smartphone with built-in Wi-Fi and Group Connect demonstrates Sprint's firm commitment to the Nextel National Network
OVERLAND PARK, KANSAS and WATERLOO, ONTARIO--(Marketwire - Dec. 15, 2008) - Responding to the requests of Nextel Direct Connect customers, Sprint (NYSE:S) today launched the BlackBerry(R) Curve(TM) 8350i smartphone. Developed by Research In Motion (RIM) (NASDAQ:RIMM)(TSX:RIM), the new BlackBerry Curve 8350i is the most advanced push-to-talk BlackBerry smartphone ever.
The BlackBerry Curve 8350i smartphone utilizes iDEN technology on the Nextel National Network. It offers Nextel Direct Connect, the only national push-to-talk service in the industry to offer sub-second call set up to the world's largest push-to-talk community with millions of users.
The BlackBerry Curve 8350i is the first push-to-talk BlackBerry smartphone to offer:
- Built-in Wi-Fi(R) support, allowing customers to browse the Internet and download email attachments quickly and easily wherever they have Wi-Fi access, and they can also send and receive emails or browse the Internet while talking on the phone.
- Group Connect, enabling customers to instantly set up group conversations with up to 20 participants.
- Additionally, the BlackBerry Curve 8350i smartphone supports:
- Integrated business solutions, including a large selection of GPS-enabled solutions and access to thousands of other third-party mobile applications for jobs such as dispatch operations and fleet and workforce management.
- International Direct Connect, which enables instant connections between the United States, Canada, Mexico, Argentina, Brazil, Chile and Peru.
- Talkgroup, which connects groups of up to 200 people at once within the same local market and in the same fleet.
"Because of its unique combination of push-to-talk capabilities and several other advanced features, the BlackBerry Curve 8350i smartphone is likely to appeal to both individual consumers and business customers," said David Chamberlain, principal analyst with analyst firm In-Stat. "The BlackBerry Curve 8350i smartphone can also address the needs of several industries such as construction, field services, transportation and manufacturing."
"The BlackBerry Curve 8350i smartphone is the most recent example of our solid commitment to iDEN technology and our Nextel Direct Connect customers," said Danny Bowman, president of Nextel Direct Connect. "The BlackBerry Curve 8350i smartphone is designed for customers who require instant convenient push-to-talk services to communicate with friends and family as well as with employees, customers and suppliers. The BlackBerry Curve 8350i is a premium smartphone that strikes a perfect balance between performance and usability."
The BlackBerry Curve 8350i smartphone is slim with a sleek black exterior, a full QWERTY keyboard, a convenient trackball with intuitive navigation and an internal antenna for a smooth, clean design. Other key features include:
- BlackBerry Device Software v4.6 for a simple and easy user experience with an updated interface, new shortcuts, an enhanced HTML web browser, support for free/busy calendar lookups and more.
- BlackBerry "push" email for easy and efficient delivery of corporate and personal email.
- Robust messaging capabilities with support for popular instant messaging, multimedia messaging (MMS) and text messaging services.
- Integrated GPS for step-by-step directions, navigation and local search as well as support for other location-based applications and services.
- Advanced media player for listening to music, watching videos and viewing pictures.
- 2 megapixel digital camera with digital zoom, flash and video recording(i).
- DataViz Documents To Go preinstalled for editing Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint files directly on the smartphone.
- Speakerphone that provides exceptional sound quality.
- Expandable memory of up to 16GB through its microSD/SDHC memory card slot, providing plenty of storage for pictures, videos, music and documents.
- Bluetooth 2.0 support for hands-free use with headsets, car kits, stereo headsets and other Bluetooth peripherals.
- Support for thousands of applications, including business, lifestyle and entertainment titles.
- Stereo headset jack for calls, push-to-talk conversations, music and other audio.
- Removable/rechargeable 1400 mAH battery.
"The BlackBerry Curve 8350i smartphone is ideal for customers who want the benefit of the popular Nextel Direct Connect service together with the power of the BlackBerry platform," said Mark Guibert, vice president of corporate marketing at RIM. "We think Nextel Direct Connect customers will be very pleased with its range of new features and stylish design, and we are very excited to be launching the BlackBerry Curve 8350i smartphone today with Sprint."
The BlackBerry Curve 8350i smartphone is available beginning today at www.sprint.com or 1-800-SPRINT-1 or from a Sprint business sales representative. It is available for as low as $149.99 with a two-year service agreement, an $80 instant savings credit and a $100 mail-in rebate. On January 11, it will be available in Sprint retail stores nationwide.
The BlackBerry Curve 8350i smartphone measures 4.4" x 2.4" x .7" and weighs 4.7 ounces. For more information about the BlackBerry Curve 8350i smartphone, visit: www.sprint.com. For more information about Nextel Direct Connect, visit www.sprint.com/nextel.
(i) Video recording requires a microSD card, sold separately.