One of the issues I have working in a big city such as New York, is that I never know what places to visit or what restaurant to try other than the same few I've frequented for years. To help alleviate that problem is Spotcast. Billed as part foursquare and part local search engine it is a handy application for finding various venues in your area and providing deals, reviews, and cool finds all in one place.
We previously reported the application being available but there have been numerous updates so, of course, a proper walkthrough of these updated features was only necessary.
Built as a native application by some of the former developers behind Poynt, it goes beyond the standard yellow pages by offering an array of different functions when you're out and about to find an enjoyable spot.
- Find: Spotcast allows users to find businesses (restaurants, shops, etc.) and other places via location-based search (US and Canada)
- Spotcast: Create, share and read posts (Spotcasts) about great deals, finds, reviews and events
- Promote: Vote up the Spotcasts you find valuable to help others see them too
- Map: View map location and directions, get contact information or click-to-call for each location listing
- Mobile Wallet: Tip Calculator, Bill Splitter and scan and securely store Loyalty Cards
- Weather: Stay up to date and make decisions based on your local short term and extended weather forecast
- Share: Email/text/BBM location info or Spotcasts while updating your BBM status
What makes this application different is what they call Spotcasts. These brief, twitter like posts, are submitted by users and describe deals, reviews, and tips about the local venues (based on GPS) that are the first thing you see upon launching the application. What I like is how you can share your experiences and even recommend a "cool find" for places that no one has heard of. I'm still discovering out of the way places in NYC based on word of mouth and this certainly helps spread the word about a favorite hangout.
Also packaged in this application is a wallet category that includes the all important tip calculator, bill splitter if you are sharing the tab with friends or family, a place to save store loyalty cards, and access to weather courtesy of accuweather. You may also locate venues by category which are broken down by spotcasts and then by results based on your GPS.
The main attraction for me though is the social aspect and the interactions based on the spotcasts. Now that the application is cross-platform and available for iOS and Android, this opens users up to a larger community to share reviews and deals with.
While Poynt was my search engine of choice on BBOS, Spotcast has slowly become my go-to local search app to find new places in my area. As a Built-for-BlackBerry application I'd say it is worth a try for the available features. It supports all BlackBerry 10 devices and is free to download.
Please keep in mind that this application is region specific and at this time is only available in Canada and the United States.