There are TONS of Twitter clients available for BlackBerry. We've checked out a bunch in our Ultimate Twitter Client Roundup, but if you want to stick with what you know, then maybe Twitter for BlackBerry is the way to go. This client comes directly from RIM and is dubbed a "super app". It gets the job done and has lots of extra features to keep even the hardcore Twitter users happy. Read on for all the details on how to get started with Twitter for BlackBerry.
Twitter can be downloaded OTA at http://blackberry.com/twitter or through BlackBerry App World. When installed, locate the icon on your home screen or in a folder. After agreeing to the End User License Agreement (EULA), you will see the startup screen.
Existing users can enter in their username and password. New users can scroll down to Sign Up at the bottom and create an account directly from the application. Therefore, you don't have to worry about being redirected to other sites or having to sign up on your home computer. On the next screen, enter in your full name (or the name you want to provide), username, password, and an email address. When complete, click on Sign Up.
Getting Started & Finding Users
To proceed, you will need to agree to Twitter's terms of service.
In order to begin your Twitter experience you can either jump right to your home screen and tweet or find a person or group to follow. To do that, simply enter in the name of the person or group you want to follow in the search line when prompted.
Your search results will appear in the next screen. You can skip this step by clicking on Done. Otherwise, scroll down, select Follow and then click on Done. Twitter will redirect you back to the home page and you can view the posts by the person / group you are following.
Setting Your BlackBerry's User Permissions
If you would like to access additional features and options after you've competed the setup process, click on the BlackBerry (menu) button. Here you can find shortcuts to all of Twitter's main features and ones not available online, application options and access to the welcome screen if you skipped it.
By selecting options, you can sign out of your account, choose how often you want your tweets refreshed, change font settings and select which application you want to upload photos to (i.e. YFrog or TwitPic). To conserve the battery life of your device I highly recommend increasing the refresh time.
Congratulations! You are now officially setup on Twitter for BlackBerry. To return to the home screen hit the backspace key on your device. Let the twittering commence! Below are some helpful shortcuts for first time users to get you started.
Shortcuts: Twitter for BlackBerry devices
Depending on the typing input language that you are using, some shortcuts might not be available.
From a BlackBerry device with a full keyboard
- To reply to a direct message or tweet, highlight the direct message or tweet. Press R.
- To reply to all of the people that are mentioned in a tweet, highlight the tweet. Press L.
- To repost a tweet, highlight the tweet. Press F.
- To compose a tweet, press C.
- To compose a direct message, on the Direct Messages screen, press C.
- To refresh your tweet timeline, press D.
From a BlackBerry device with a SureType keyboard
- To reply to a direct message or tweet, highlight the direct message or tweet. Press the exclamation point (!) key.
- To reply to all of the people that are mentioned in a tweet, highlight the tweet. Press the question mark (?) key.
- To repost a tweet, highlight the tweet. Press the period (.) key.
- To compose a tweet, press the comma (,) key.
- To compose a direct message, on the Direct Messages screen, press the comma (,) key.
- To refresh your tweet timeline, press 5.
Navigation shortcuts can be used from a BlackBerry device with a full keyboard or a BlackBerry device with a SureType keyboard.
- To go to the Home screen, press the Alt key and 1.
- To go to the Mentions screen, press the Alt key and 2.
- To go to the Lists screen, press the Alt key and 3.
- To go to the Profile screen, press the Alt key and 4.
- To go to the Direct Messages screen, press the Alt key and 5.
- To go to the Find People screen, press the Alt key and 6.
- To go to the Search screen, press the Alt key and 7.
- To go to the Popular Topics screen, press the Alt key and 8.