Streaming music is all the rage these days and luckily on BlackBerry 10 we have a ton of options. Being a rock fan I was pleasantly surprised when I stumbled upon Rock Radio in BlackBerry World - not so much because of what it does, but more about its ease of use and user interface.
I always seem to favour apps that have a dark theme, not really for battery saving issues - I just prefer they way they look and Rock Radio looks great with yellow and white writing on the dark background.
Where choosing a station is made easy is that the application consists of 35 channel options - ranging from 60's rock to thrash metal, so there's something for everyone. You can just choose your rock style of choice, sit back and enjoy.
Rock Radio is free to download and is available for all BlackBerry 10 devices - double bonus! The app is an Android port and one thing I was slightly disappointed in was that on my Q10 I couldn't view the name of the group and song that was playing - where this isn't an issue on the all touch BB10 handsets. There are some sharing options, but once again, due to it being an Android app we don't get BlackBerry Hub options which is shame.
Apart from that though it does the job well. If you're a rock fan I see no reason not to give this one a go. Bear in mind that if you have a low data plan you'll want to be on Wi-Fi to avoid hitting your monthly data allowance.
- Listen to 35+ hand-programmed rock music channels
- Not sure which channel to pick? Explore the easy-to-use Styles list
- Stream music from the app or in the background while you do other things
- Control audio and view track titles from the lock screen
- Save your favorite channels for quick and easy access later
- New Sleep Timer feature allows you to fall asleep to music without draining your data plan
- Set data streaming preferences for when using a Cellular vs. WiFi network
- Share your favorite tracks and channels on Facebook, Twitter, or by email
- Optional buffer bar with data display helps you keep track of your data usage