Adding Ringtones to the BlackBerry 8700 Series
If you own an 8700 or later model with the 4.1 OS BlackBerry you can download mp3 ringtones easily.
Adding Ringtones to the Blackberry 7290
- Go to the BlackBerry browser. Type in the address of one of the ringtone providers. See below for a selection. Some charge for ringtones while other offer tones for free.
- Scroll through their list and select the ringtone you want. Press download and the tone will be automatically sent to the correct folder on your BlackBerry.
- Log out of the browser. Go to Profiles.
- Select Normal. Select Phone, or whichever function you want to change the tone for.
- Then go to Tune. Your Mp3 phone tunes will drop down in a menu. Pick the file you want and click the tone will automatically be changed
If you own a Blackberry 7290 or earlier the process is more involved. These BlackBerries only support MIDI files.
- Seek out a site that provides MIDI files. It is better to search for the site on a computer first as reviewing is easier.
- Select the file you wish to download. Sites will provide instructions. In some cases you’ll see a screen where you can enter the ID number of the MIDI file you want to load.
- The BlackBerry 7290 for example has a MIDI player for the format. As soon as the file is downloaded, the MIDI file will start playing on the handheld. The MIDI player has three buttons. One starts the audio file, one stops it, and the other gives you an action menu, which includes the option to save the MIDI file to the BlackBerry.
- You can rename the MIDI files to any name you want when saving them. Move the cursor to the File field in the Save File dialog box and give the file the name you want.
- Once downloaded follow the same process as above.
You can delete audio files you don’t want any more by going to Profiles clicking the wheel once and choosing Show Tunes. Highlight the file name, clicking one more time, and choosing Delete from the menu.
Some ringtone providers: