I'll be totally honest and admit that when Angry Birds Go was released for BlackBerry 10 I had no idea that it was going to be any different from the previous Angry Birds games. Maybe I had my head buried in the sand at some point but either way what a nice surprise I had when I loaded it up on my BlackBerry Z30 and discovered the birds are going racing!
Don't get me wrong - I love Angry Birds full stop. I'm not fanatical or anything but we all know how successful developers Rovio have been with the games. So it's great to see them include some variation this time around and after playing the game on and off for a couple of days I think I prefer this style to the more traditional versions, but that's just me.
Although the game is free to download there are in-app purchases available. I'm not a big fan of those so I tend to be patient and just upgrade the kart that the birds race in when I've earned enough coins. These can be collected as you travel around the various courses and then spent before you start the next race. As you progress you won't be able to partake in more races unless your kart matches the minimum required cc level. If you need more coins you can just replay a previous race.
As you will see above, you can improve the karts top speed, acceleration, handling and strength. In addition your pig may well get a bit tired but fear not as you can jump into the tree above the kart and switch to another bird. You can tell how your current bird is doing over on the top right of the display. Once those dots are no longer illuminated it means tiredness has set in. You do have the option to replenish them using diamond looking gems that you will also pick up along the ride.
When it comes to gameplay you'll be pleased to hear that there are loads of different styles of races. Some will require you to complete the race just once, whereas others need three wins to succeed. As you will see in the following video, launching your kart is done in true Angry Birds style with a catapult action. Then you just use the left and right tabs either side of the display to steer. While we're on the subject of steering it's actually quite lifelike. Clearly, the more you upgrade your kart - the better it will handle, but it feels good right from the start.
One thing that did concern me greatly is the price of some of the in-app purchases. There are a selection of karts you can buy if you want, but taking a look at the price I was horrified! Ready for the price.......See below:
Now that's a shed load of cash for a vehicle within a game. I just hope the kids don't have mum or dad's password on whatever platform they are playing this one on!
Getting back to the actual game play it is truly awesome - fast paced and full of action. With the different styles of race it certainly adds some excitement to the game and whether you are willing to partake in the in-app purchases or not what's not to love.
Up at the top of the screen while you are racing you'll notice a bar that shows not only your position and how far until the finish line, but also where your opponent is. Points are at the top right and below that you'll see a yellow tab with a lightning bolt through it. This is a boost for when you need to gain some extra ground in the race. You get one free boost each race but in order to get more you will once again have to part with some cash..
Overall, Angry Birds Go is a real gem - so much better than I expected. I just wish I could have paid a few bucks for the game and not have to worry about those annoying in-app purchases. Oh well, you can't win 'em all. Also, at the time of publication it's only all touch BlackBerry 10 devices that are supported. Fingers crossed this will be addressed soon.
Here's the rest of the good stuff:
- FIRST-EVER 3D ANGRY BIRDS WORLD! See the birds and pigs from every angle as Piggy Island comes alive in this rich and colorful 3D world!
- RACE AS THE BIRDS OR PIGS! Jump behind the wheel and race as Red, Chuck, Terence, Stella, King Pig, Moustache Pig and many other favorites!
- MASTER THE TRACKS! Plenty of racetracks, stunt roads, air courses and off-road races – each throwing big and unexpected challenges your way!
- AWESOME SPECIAL POWERS! Smash your opponents off the road and take that winning position thanks to unique special powers for each character!
- MANY GAME MODES! Test your skills with super-fun and surprising game modes: Race, Time Boom, Fruit Splat, Champion Chase and Mega Match!
- UPGRADE YOUR RIDE! From a homemade soapbox car to a super-fly supercar, with tons of karts and awesome ways to upgrade – yours to earn or purchase!
- MUCH MORE TO COME! The race has only just begun – so look out for many more fun things coming your way!
- TELEPODS! A groundbreaking new way to play! Now teleport your favorite characters into the race by placing your Angry Birds Go! TELEPODS figures on your device's camera!
- ToonsTV READY TO GO! The home of the hugely popular Angry Birds Toons animated series, plus many other top-quality videos!
More information/Download Angry Birds Go for BlackBerry 10