This just in!! Stay tuned for our live blog starting up soon to go with the earnings call (Kicks off at 5pm ET). See the full press release on MarketWire. Watching RIMM stock on Google Finance, in the early minutes the after hours trading has the stock down some 12% as I type this. Will see if the slide continues.
Research In Motion Reports Second Quarter Fiscal 2012 Results
WATERLOO, ONTARIO--(Marketwire - Sept. 15, 2011) - Research In Motion Limited (RIM) (NASDAQ:RIMM)(TSX:RIM), a world leader in the mobile communications market, today reported second quarter results for the three months ended August 27, 2011 (all figures in U.S. dollars and U.S. GAAP, except where otherwise indicated).
- Revenue in the second quarter was $4.2 billion and service revenue surpassed $1 billion for the first time
- GAAP net income of $329 million or $0.63 per fully diluted share; adjusted net income of $419 million or $0.80 per fully diluted share
- The BlackBerry subscriber base grew 40% year over year to surpass 70 million
- RIM's largest roll-out of BlackBerry smartphones was initiated with 7 new smartphones launched with over 90 carrier and distribution partners in 30 countries during the latter part of Q2
- Approximately $780 million was invested as part of a consortium of companies that successfully bid to acquire intellectual property assets from Nortel
- BlackBerry smartphone shipments in Q3 are estimated to grow between 27-37% over Q2 shipments
Revenue for the second quarter of fiscal 2012 was $4.2 billion, down 15% from $4.9 billion in the previous quarter and down 10% from $4.6 billion in the same quarter of last year. The revenue breakdown for the quarter was approximately 73% for hardware, 24% for service, and 3% for software and other revenue. During the quarter, RIM shipped approximately 10.6 million BlackBerry smartphones and approximately 200,000 BlackBerry PlayBook tablets.
"We successfully launched a range of BlackBerry 7 smartphones around the world during the latter part of the second quarter and we are seeing strong sell-through and customer interest for these new products. Overall unit shipments in the quarter were slightly below our forecast due to lower than expected demand for older models," said Jim Balsillie, Co-CEO at Research In Motion. "We will continue to build on the success of the BlackBerry 7 launch to drive the business as we focus our development efforts on delivering the next generation, QNX-based mobile platform next year."
The Company's GAAP net income for the quarter was $329 million, or $0.63 per share diluted, compared with GAAP net income of $695 million, or $1.33 per share diluted, in the prior quarter and net income of $797 million, or $1.46 per share diluted, in the same quarter last year. Adjusted net income for the second quarter was $419 million, or $0.80 per share diluted. Adjusted net income and adjusted diluted earnings per share exclude the impact of a pre-tax one-time charge of $118 million for the Company's cost optimization program that was implemented in the second quarter of fiscal 2012. Details on the cost optimization program are available in the Company's press release dated July 25, 2011 as well as in Management's Discussion and Analysis of Financial Condition and Results of Operations for the fiscal period ended August 27, 2011, which will be filed shortly.
Note: Adjusted net income and adjusted diluted earnings per share do not have any standardized meaning prescribed by GAAP and thus are not comparable to similarly titled measures presented by other issuers. The Company believes that the presentation of adjusted net income and adjusted diluted earnings per share enables the Company and its shareholders to better assess RIM's operating results relative to its operating results in prior periods and improves the comparability of the information presented. Investors should consider these non-GAAP financial measures in the context of RIM's GAAP results.
(1) During the second quarter of fiscal 2012, the Company implemented a cost optimization program to streamline operations across the organization. The Company incurred approximately $118 million in total pre-tax charges related to the cost optimization program. Substantially all the pre-tax charges are related to one-time employee termination benefits and the identification and elimination of redundant facilities, with the charges included in the relevant line items in the Company's consolidated statement of operations. During the second quarter of fiscal 2012 pre-tax charges of approximately $13 million were included in cost of sales, charges of approximately $19 million were included in research and development, and charges of approximately $86 million were included in selling, marketing and administration expenses. Additional charges for headcount related costs associated with our cost optimization program may also be incurred in subsequent quarters.
The total of cash, cash equivalents, short-term and long-term investments was $1.4 billion as at August 27, 2011, compared to $2.9 billion at the end of the previous quarter, a decrease of $1.5 billion from the prior quarter. Uses of cash included strategic purchases of intellectual property assets associated with RIM's participation in a consortium of companies that successfully bid to acquire Nortel Networks Corporation's patent portfolio, of which RIM's cost is approximately $780 million, capital expenditures of approximately $285 million, and working capital requirements.
Q3 and FY2012 Outlook
Revenue for the third quarter of fiscal 2012 ending November 26, 2011 is expected to be in the range of $5.3-$5.6 billion. Gross margin percentage for the third quarter is expected to be approximately 37%. BlackBerry smartphone shipments are expected to be between 13.5 million and 14.5 million units. Adjusted earnings per share for the third quarter, excluding the impact of charges related to the Company's cost optimization program, is expected to be in the range of $1.20-$1.40. Adjusted diluted earnings per share for the full year fiscal 2012, excluding the impact of charges related to the Company's cost optimization program, is expected to be towards the low end of the previously guided range of $5.25-$6.00.
Conference Call and Webcast
A conference call and live webcast will be held beginning at 5 pm ET, September 15, 2011, which can be accessed by dialing 1-877-974-0445 (North America), (+1)416-644-3414 (outside North America) or through your personalcomputer or BlackBerry PlayBook tablet at www.rim.com/investors/events/index.shtml. A replay of the conference call will also be available at approximately 7 pm ET by dialing (+1)416-640-1917 and entering passcode 4466490#. A replay of the webcast will be available on your personal computer or BlackBerry PlayBook tablet by clicking the link above. This replay will be available until midnight ET, September 29, 2011.