More BlackBerry Thunder Details...
We talked about these details during this week's CrackBerry.com Podcast, but in case you're not a listener it seems worthy of a dedicated post. Good 'ole Boy Genius posted some more information on the BlackBerry Thunder this week, following up on the awesome photo that surfaced on Sunday. The new details:
- Yes, it has a SIM card slot, located under the battery of the device
- MicroSD card slot is also located under the battery of the device
- so don't expect to see a ton of onboard memory
- and I guess I was wrong when in the past I've stated that RIM would never make another device where you'd have to remove the battery to access the memory card. Consider me disappointed that it's not externally accessible. ALTHOUGH...silver lining, this does actually make the device LOOK nicer.
- Release Date: Still aiming to launch in the 3rd quarter on Verizon (I'm hoping the calendar year 3rd quarter and not RIM's 3rd quarter)
- Network Support: CDMA 1x, EV-DO, GSM, GPRS, EDGE, UMTS, and HSPA
As Craig talks about in the podcast, the broad network support means this baby will be packing a Qualcomm chip with Gobi technology (more info on Gobi here
). And if you're on a GSM carrier don't expect to be able to toss in your SIM card and use the Thunder. It's sure to be locked down tight and will be roaming on CDMA within the USA.