It has been a while since I have checked out an app to come out of the BlackBerry Jam Camp events that took place summer 2013. There have been some very cool apps come from student developers who attended the camp. Today, I am looking at PinGuin, an app that allows you to save and share your favorite locations - a way to log all the cool places you go to.
When you first launch PinGuin you are presented with a nice little tutorial - a walkthrough of how to use the app. Always nice to get a small tutorial with some apps. PinGuin is natively built so it will be much like navigation BlackBerry 10 apps in general. Just tap the plus icon on the bottom bar and tap 'Add Location' to add a location to your saved list. You then name your location and you can also add a description too. There is also the ability to share your location to, or any of your saved locations. What is great when you add your location is that you can use longitude and latitude coordinates to make sure you have the exact location and not something meters away.
PinGuin also has in-app purchase available. This will give you all the features. These include being able to add your saved location to a category and also to use existing photos or take news ones to add to a saved location.
- Save and store locations
- Name and add descriptions to locations
- View saved locations
- Navigate to saved locations
- Share your current location or saved locations by text, BBM™ , email and various other forms
- Sharing to other platforms opens native map app on recipient's end
- Edit saved locations
- Active Frame support
- BBM connected
- Ability to take a photo and save it to a location item (Full version)
- Append a picture from your files to a location (Full version)
- Native Language support for French, Spanish, Italian, Dutch, Turkish, Russian, Arabic, Portuguese, Polish, German, Indonesian, and Chinese (simplified).
- Add category to saved locations (Full version)
There are also some neat upcoming features too. Like being able to filter you locations by category as well as Pebble integration via the Talk2Watch app. It's a pretty neat app with Built for BlackBerry certification and was also the winner of BlackBerry Jam Camp, Cambridge 2013.
PinGuin is free to download and is available for all BlackBerry 10 smartphones. The full version costs $0.99, paid for via the app.
Learn more / Download Pinguin for BlackBerry 10