It's rare that I add a contact to BBM by any method other than entering their PIN, so I often forget that there are a few different ways to get the job done.
When I travel to a conference or head to a meet up, I get the chance to use the good ol' barcode scanner or NFC to add contacts to BBM.
What's surprising is that not everyone is aware of how to add a contact to BBM by these methods - or maybe even at all.
So while most of you already know how to add a contact to BBM by PIN or email, we'll take a quick look at all of the methods so you can become a BBM master in no time.
PIN or Email Address
To add a BBM contact by PIN or email:
- In BBM, tap overflow icon (3 dots) then Invite to BBM
- In the To field, enter your contact's PIN or email address
- Edit the message that will be sent with the invite (or don't, it's up to you)
- Choose a category (if any) that you'd like the contact added to
- Tap Send
- Your invite is sent and the contact will be added to your BBM upon approval
Scan a Barcode
To add a BBM contact by scanning a barcode:
- In BBM, swipe down from the top bezel.
- Tap Scan to Invite
- Move your device so the camera can focus on your contact's barcode (be it on their device or somewhere else)
- Once the barcode is scanned and recognized the contact will be added to your BBM contact list.
To add a contact by NFC (Tap to Invite):
- In BBM tap the overflow icon (3 dots) then Invite to BBM
- On the bottom, press Tap to Invite
- Make sure that your contact has NFC enabled on their device, then align the back of both your devices until you feel it vibrate.
- Once complete the contact will be added to your BBM contacts
There you have it! Once you master these methods you'll have a multitude of options for adding new contacts to BBM
Be sure to check out more great tutorials in our BlackBerry 10 help and how-to guides.