As we mentioned a short while ago, the Flipboard application is available to download, but currently only if you have a BlackBerry Z30. With BlackBerry 10.2 rolling out soon I'm pretty sure that the app will become available for all devices but in the meantime here's just a quick look at the app in action if you haven't seen it before.
If you haven't used Flipboard before I suppose the easiest way for me to sum it up is that it is almost a magazine style app but it also allows you to integrate your social networks so you can view all your interests in one place. Once you launch the app for the first time you'll need to create an account - which only takes a minute. Then you will be presented with a list of categories which you can select if they are ones you would like to see appear in the app. With 12 social networks being available for integration you can (if you want) get all your news and updates from your social feeds right from within Flipboard.
As you will see in the above video - the application gets its name from the way that you change pages. It's just a case of performing an upwards gesture on the screen and the story will flip to the next. What's beautiful about this is the smoothness of the animation and you can swipe as fast or as slow as you like.
Highlights of Flipboard include:
- With news and social networks all in one place, it's easy to quickly catch up on the news you care about.
- Search for anything—people, topics, hashtags, blogs, your favorite sites—and flip through articles, updates, photos and videos in a beautiful magazine format.
- Connect Flipboard to up to 12 social networks, streamlining your reading and activities like commenting, liking and sharing. Services include Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Google+, YouTube, Google Reader, LinkedIn, Flickr, 500px, Sina Weibo and Renren.
- Use Cover Stories, a custom tile on Flipboard that gives you the best of everything you follow on Flipboard. Cover Store is a quick dose of what's happening now a constantly updated selection of articles, photos and videos shared by your friends.
- Save anything to read later using Instapaper, Pocket and Readability.
- Create a Flipboard account to access your favorite content and social networks on different or shared devices.
- Enjoy Flipboard in 15 localized editions—for Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Italy, Japan, Korea, Netherlands, Spain, Taiwan, U.S. and U.K.
- Explore hundreds of staff picks in the Content Guide, including must-read magazines and blogs, gorgeous photography and special curated sections devoted to the news of the day and other topics of interest.
Flipboard is a free download so as soon as it is available for your BlackBerry I would urge you to give it a try. Note, previously we mentioned this was a native app. It is not, it's an Android port but it works incredibly well.