Like it or not — Flappy Bird is addicting as hell. It's a super simple game with crappy graphics, but once you get going you just can't seem to put it down. It's taking off like crazy on iOS, Android and even Windows Phone, and thanks to OS 10.2.1 and a few tricks you can have it up and running on your BlackBerry 10 device in not time at all. Just beware that it's extremely addicting — consider yourself warned!
Flappy Bird is a free download and is available now in Snap, so here's how to get it on your BlackBerry 10 device.
Step 1: Sideload Snap
- Download and install Google Chrome, if you don't have it already.
- Once Google Chrome is installed, open it up and install this extension for Google Chrome on your computer.
- Download the latest Snap .BAR file to your computer, place it somewhere you'll remember.
- Enable development mode on your BlackBerry. To do this, swipe down from the top of the screen, tap Settings, then, Security and Privacy Development Mode. Turn the switch to the ON position. Note the IP address it lists as well, it's most commonly set to 169.254.0.1 but if different, make note of it. Also, it may ask you to create a password. If so, make one and do not forget it.
- Grab your micro USB cable and plug it into your device, then plug your device into your computer.
- Open Google Chrome and visit https://169.254.0.1/. If your IP found in development was different, replace 169.254.0.1 with the IP found there.
- If you get an SSL error page or it says this site's security certificate is not trusted, that's fine. It's not causing any harm. Just accept and proceed. If you get a different sort of error though, like "this page cannot be found" or "this webpage is not available", try reconnecting your device or try a different USB port.
- Also, you may need to go to the Google Chrome extension settings and enter the correct IP address there. Generally, it auto detects it but if not you'll need to add it manually. Additionally, if you're still unable to connect, make sure your anti-virus is disabled or the app is allowed to run. This often causes a lot of connection issues, especially for Windows users.
- Once you have the page loaded up, enter in your device password that you created to approve access. You will then see a list of what's already installed on your device.
- From there, you can go to the top right hand corner where it says 'Install Apps' and click on that. That will open a file explorer window for your computer, in which case you want to browse to wherever it is that you downloaded the Snap .BAR file and select it.
- Once selected, the Snap file will begin installing and you can view the progress in Chrome. When done, you will see 'result::success' indicating that all went well and the file sideloaded properly.
- You can now disconnect your device from your computer, open Snap, and log in with your Google credentials.
Note that this process is applicable for any app that you wish to sideload, not just Snap. If there is other BAR files you wish to install, it can be done the exact same way.
Step 2: Download and install Flappy Bird on BlackBerry
From here on in, things are pretty easy.
- Open Snap by tapping the icon. Swipe from right to left on your home screen to find it.
- Tap the Search button at the bottom, type "Flappy Bird" into the text field that pops up at the top, and tap the Search button in the bottom-right.
- Tap the Flappy Bird search result by GEARS Studios.
- Tap the Download button in the top-right, then tap the Open Installer button that replaces it once the download is finished.
- The file will take a moment to process, then tap Install in the top-right. You will need to confirm permissions for the app to run, then the installation will complete.
- The Install button will change into an Open button once the installation is finished. Tap it to launch Flappy Bird! An icon will also be placed on your home screen for future access.
That's it! You should now be able to play Flappy Birds until your battery dies or you throw your phone against the wall :)