For those who are fans of FileScout by Matthias Marquardt, you will be pleased to hear that it has been updated to version 22.214.171.124. This latest version not only improves functionality, layout, and design but includes bug fixes, visual changes, enhancements, and so much more that it skipped right from v2.9 to this one. Originally released over four years ago, it has gone through quite a few updates. During that time it only improved functionality for users. Be sure to check out the change log below.
New features include:
- FileScout was initially released in March 2009 - this is now more than 4 years ago. It has been a very exiting journey for me as a developer. You might wonder why the version number has jumped from 2.9 directly to 4.0 - well the application has been updated constantly over the years that I hope you agree that the 4.0 just reflects the age of the good old FileScout. BTW: This new 4.0 version will still work on BlackBerry Devices running OS4.3 - I know most of you probably have a newer OS installed on their device - but IMHO it shows what you where able to do as developer - even in the year 2007.
- While the app functionality have been constantly improved over time there are some areas that have been totally untouched since the initial release. One of these areas are the option screens. Of course with each release new options have been added - but they have been never reorganized. With the new release of FileScout v4.0 all option screens have been redesigned and have now a fresh new look.
- The main display have been adjusted and now a fine separator line will be painted between each file. If you don't like this new grid then you can disable this function in the Appearance Options (by turning 'Show Grid' OFF). The file names are now always centered to the thumbnail (no matter what size you have selected) and for touch supporting devices the row height have also been tweaked. These adjustments unfortunately require that all thumbnails (if you make use if the build in cache) have to be recalculated.
- All application icons have been reworked to match finally the new screen sizes of the latest OS7.x devices (that's basically the core reason for the increased file size of the application)
- A preview of all the visual changes can be found here: FileScout Preview Screens (Slideshow)
- The copy, move and delete file operations (when multiple files and/or folders have been selected) could finally be canceled while they are running.
- The File-Search (key short cut [SHIFT]+[S]) and the QuickFilter (key short cut [Q]) now highlight the matches of the given search query in the result list.
- The File-Search Screen layout have been revised and the additional checkbox options (to restrict the search) are now auto-hiding themselves once a search is started - they will reappear when you focus the search text field or the search button.
- The Image-Manipulation Screen layout have been revised (the image resize options) and you should now have a much better overview concerning your actual options for image resize operations.
- Press and hold the ESC-Key will instantly terminate FileScout - there is no need any longer to go up to the file system root - finally!
- When you are press the file system browse buttons (the ones with the folder icon) in the option screens in order to adjust a path (e.g. the startup directory) then now the displayed folder list how at the button an additional button in order to select the current selected (or currently opened) directory.
- Also this build contains multiple fixes for tiny issues I have found while I was testing the changes.
- Finally you might wonder how it could be that so many changes have been implemented in such a short period of time (since the last v2.9 release was just a couple of days ago). I don't really have a good answer - it was just that I had a lot of fun coding for the legacy BlackBerry platform and I felt the need that FileScout should look a bit better.
FileScout is compatible with most devices running OS 4.3 and higher. Currently, there are three versions available to download: the premium for $2.99, a FREE limited feature lite edition, and a special version for $0.99 (no personal support by eMail). Those who use the DropBox and WiFi Plugin for OS 5-7 and OS4.x will also need to install the latest version (v126.96.36.199.6) to work properly.