I love being able to look at my BlackBerry device and knowing exactly what type of message I have waiting for me based on the color that flashed on the LED.
I had this system going for me on my BlackBerry 7 device using third party apps. On BlackBerry 10, I want to be able to achieve this too, again with third party apps.
Color LED Messages allows me to do this, so let's take a closer look at what the app can do for you.
Color LED Messages lets you set the LED color for each of the email accounts on your BlackBerry, as well as text messages.
You can create custom filters, so if you wanted another color for all messages from a certain person you can do that too. Be it a phone number or email address. You can even set filters for email subjects too.
You can set the blink duration of the LED too, from 10 blinks to forever. There is also the ability to assign a tone to that specific setting and make it vibrate too.
There are 27 different color combinations to choose from. You can have just one color or select from the color combos available too.
Color LED Messages also allows you to set a color for Twitter and Facebook but setting up these works differently from email accounts. There is no option to select them via the app. Instead, when the app is open and running and you will receive a Twitter mention or Facebook notification, the app recognizes this and prompts you set one if you wish.
Within the app, there is also something called Daily Notification Profiles. This feature lets you set a specific time during the day where all notifications, including vibrate, will be turned off. So, there was a specific time everyday where you didn't want any alerts to sound you can set this to happen automatically. You could also turn off all LED notifications during this period too.
Within the settings there is also an option for setting a sound for when the password lock kicks in and when you unlock/lock the screen. These are small little features added for your preference.
- Led automatically turns off when you read or delete the message
- Timer Profile to control Led, Tone and Vibrate within Color Led application. Eg: 10pm - 7am all the notifications off
- Screen lock, password lock and unlock sounds. Good way to know when the device is locked and no second guesses.
- Battery and Free memory indicators on the Active Frame screen
- Supports for Social accounts such as Facebook, Twitter and others
- Backup and Restore of all the filters to SD Card
- Automatically sync all your message accounts with finer interval time as pose to the system 15mins. You can set to sync from 1 min to 15mins
- Set Led for incoming and missed phone calls
- Set Led for No Cellular Signal
- Supports Bedside mode. All notifications in Color Led Message will be off so you can have a good night sleep or nap
To be able to make use of Color LED Messages, however, you must have the app running as an Active Frame. At the moment, this is something that can't be helped. Developers currently don't have the APIs to make 'headless apps' so these kinds of apps need to be open and running to function. Since the app has to run as an Active Frame, the developer has added a battery percentage and memory availability to the Active Frame so you can see these at a glance.
All in all the app is pretty good. It does the job and does it well. If you want to have different color LED for your notifications, give Color LED Messages a go. It is available from BlackBerry World for $1.99/£1.50.