These days I mostly work with Word files for work or for personal documents. However, that is not to say I do not use plain text files for jotting down notes, writing posts, or even editing code. Going through my inbox I came across this simple and easy to use application called Editor by a new developer.
Editor is a native application for saving and opening, first and foremost, text files. However, it does have the capability of opening different extensions. All of the files you create can be saved to your device or SD card and shared via the BlackBerry framework. By going into settings, users may choose the color for the theme, the primary colors, and the base colors, as well as the directories to save regular files and hidden files.
As I mentioned earlier, this application opens several different file types. It can also save files in those extensions as well. These include CVS, XML, CPP, DOC, TXT, etc. All you have to do is enter the extension after the filename when you "Save As." If no extension is entered, it defaults to being a .txt file.
There are several options to choose from including theme color, font selection, and a privacy feature. When activated a fake message is displayed while your file is saved to a hidden folder.
Another feature some may like is "Push to Hub." Whatever text you enter in this application you can send as a notification to the BlackBerry Hub. For me if there is something important I need to remember quickly, I simply transfer it there for accessing later.
- Native BlackBerry 10 app using Cascades framework for smooth animations and transitions that follow BlackBerry 10 flow guidelines
- Attractive UI
- Ease of use
- Ability to select the visual style theme: Bright or Dark
- Select different fonts, font style, font size, font alignment, font format, font weight, font colors etc.
- Quick copy to the clipboard
- Quick paste from clipboard
- Invocation framework integration to allow any file with the different extension to be opened from other apps
- Make app default for text files
- Open existing file of any type from within the app
- There is a privacy feature - If someone is looking while you type, then click on the lock button. The text written will be saved to a hidden folder and become invisible to that person with a FAKE MESSAGE. This message can be removed by clicking 5 Times on FAKE TEXT
- When the lock button is activated all other buttons are also locked down
- You can hide the action bar while reading and writing text by going into settings and selecting that option
- Screen will not lock or sleep if you choose that option from settings
- Search text with find and find next buttons
- Offers interactive look to application with different colors
The developer is giving away 100 copies for free. All you have to do is follow the directions laid out below to redeem the promotion code.
- Launch BlackBerry World
- Swipe down from the top and tap on Redeem
- Enter this promo code EDITORCBPROMO
- Tap on the green FREE button to download
Editor is normally priced at $2.99 and is compatible with BlackBerry OS 10.3.1 and higher. It is a new application and, if there are bugs, the developer is quick to respond and take suggestions.