SK Telecom and RIM Introduce the First Touch-Screen BlackBerry Smartphone in South Korea
on 3 Aug 2010 08:42 am
As most of us here in Canada and the US are waiting on newer devices, Research In Motion and SK Telecom have just announced the release of the BlackBerry Storm 2 into the Korean market. With Research In Motion expanding to different market areas, it's almost certain we'll see a bigger line up of devices eventually hit those areas. The BlackBerry Bold 9000 was released in 2009 on SK Telecom and did quite well, the jury is still out on how well the first Touchscreen BlackBerry will make out. Full press release is after the jump.
The New BlackBerry Storm2 Features Innovative Technology, Advanced Communications and Multimedia Features for Both Work and Play
Seoul, South Korea - SK Telecom and Research In Motion (RIM) (NASDAQ: RIMM; TSX: RIM) today announced the launch of the first touch-screen BlackBerry smartphone - BlackBerry® Storm2™ - for customers in South Korea. The BlackBerry Storm2 offers advanced communications and multimedia features, enabling customers to stay connected to co-workers, friends, family and a broad range of content while on the go.
The BlackBerry Storm2 offers South Korean customers a new mobile experience based on a powerful touch-screen design that can meet their needs for work and play.
- Smooth design and premium finish with sloped edges, chrome accents, glass lens and stainless steel backplate
- Large (3.25”), dazzling, high resolution 360 x 480 display at 184 ppi
- Capacitive touch-screen with integrated functions (Send, End, Menu, Escape) and innovative SurePress™ technology that makes clicking the display practically effortless
- Global connectivity support: UMTS/HSPA (2100Mhz), quad-band EDGE/GPRS/GSM and Wi-Fi® (802.11 b/g) networks
- 3.2 MP camera with variable zoom, autofocus, flash and video recording
- 256 MB of Flash memory
- 2 GB of onboard memory storage and a microSD/SDHD memory card slot that supports up to 16 GB cards today and is expected to support 32 GB cards when available
- Premium and easy-to-access phone features, background noise suppression technology, loud distortion-free speakerphone and face detection (proximity sensor) that prevents accidental clicks and blanks the screen while the user is on the phone
- Media player for videos, pictures and music, and BlackBerry® Media Sync for easily syncing photos as well as iTunes® and Windows Media® Player music with the smartphone*
- BlackBerry® Desktop Manager for both PCs and Macs to enable synching data such as contacts and calendar appointments between a computer and the smartphone
- A 3.5 mm stereo headset jack and dedicated volume controls
- Bluetooth® with support for hands-free headsets, stereo headsets, car kits and other Bluetooth peripherals
- Access to BlackBerry App World™, featuring a broad and growing catalog of mobile applications developed specifically for BlackBerry smartphones. Categories include entertainment, IM and social networking, news, weather, productivity and more
- Removable, rechargeable 1400 mAhr battery that provides approximately 6 hours of talk time on 3G networks and 280 hours of standby time
Pricing and Availability
The BlackBerry Storm2 smartphone will be available from select SK Telecom authorized retail channels in early August. For further details on pricing and availability, please visit www.mysmart.co.kr/blackberry or contact SK Telecom’s authorized retail channels.
* Certain music files may not be supported, including files that contain digital rights management technologies. Photo syncing is currently only available for Windows-based PCs.