Normally, I am not a coffee drinker. I usually get my caffeine fix from a can of soda. However, I must say that during this time of year, there is a propensity towards a certain seasonal drink at Starbucks, aka Pumpkin Spice Latte. If you are like me, you don't always have your Starbucks Loyalty card handy. To ensure you not only receive your gold stars on purchases but satisfy your addiction to this popular brand there is Coffee Companion.
Having previously released Smart Watch Companion and Hue Companion, Coffee Companion is a useful application, especially for those of us always on the go, which generates a barcode of your code to use the mobile app for payment. It also keeps track of your three favorite stores as well as your favorite items and drinks under the notes heading.
- Guided Configuration of your application at first startup
- BBM Connected – share socially, invite others to download, all made simple, during that magic coffee break moment
- Share Socially with your friends via BBM, Twitter, Facebook or LinkedIn
- Find the nearest stores quickly, look up store information, and get/post reviews via FourSquare (requires a FourSquare account)
- Access to the BBM Channel – why not chat in the coffee lounge?
- Headless Application – no need to leave this running in the background!
There are links to Foursquare to find the nearest Starbucks and to check your balance / rewards. However, please note the link is to the Starbucks UK site though that does not prohibit you from logging in or viewing your account, only from reading the information of your country's specific rewards program. However, once in the browser you may edit the link to the appropriate site (i.e. .uk to .com)
Another handy feature this application offers is after adding your favorite stores in settings you can add a trigger which will remind you in the hub when you pass by. To set up properly though, you will need to be in the location to set this marker.
Coffee Companion has a clean, simple, and easy to use interface. While it limits users to only loading one Starbucks loyalty card, it may be an issue for some. After collecting a few because of various rewards, I did consolidate them all into one card not too long ago so it didn't affect me. You can grab it for BlackBerry 10 for $0.99.