Bridge, an app that brings Pebble support to BlackBerry 10 users, now supports BBM notifications and it also a now allows Vector smartwatch. If you haven't heard of Bridge before it is a third party Pebble app for BlackBerry 10 users. The developer has been constantly working in the background to continually improve the app and this update is quite a big one.
The biggest addition to this latest version of Bridge is that it now brings you BBM support, something alternative Pebble app Talk2Watch Pro has had for a while. The difference here is that you won't get three notifications for the one message anymore. CellNinja has somewhat refined the notification process to eliminate the duplication. You still won't be able to see the contents of the BBM message but you can assign a name to the contact or the group in the same way you do with Talk2Watch. Here's how:
- Turn on Learn BBM contacts in the app settings.
- When you next receive a BBM message, note the contact ID that appears on your Pebble watch.
- Go to the Settings in the Bridge app.
- Scroll down to Add BBM contact ID
- Type the ID from your watch
- Assign a contact name.
The next time you receive a message from that contact or BBM group, the name will appear as well as the unread count. You can turn off Learn new BBM contacts if you're done assigning names.
Hub notifications have also been added to this Bridge update. That means that Bridge can catch all Hub notifications (a bit like the developer's Hub2Watch watchface). There are limitations — just as with BBM — for some accounts, like WhatsApp, you'll only see the unread count and not the contents of the app.
As mentioned, another addition here is support for the Vector smartwatch (available on Amazon for under $300). So, if you're planning on purchasing the watch, Bridge will be ready for you to use when the watch officially launches around mid-February. Here is the full list of changes for this version of Bridge.
- Now supports Vector smartwatch (https://www.vectorwatch.com/) You'll need Vector Watch 1.1.5 Android app (not yet released, coming mid-February)
- Pebble users will now get weather pushed to their Timeline
- Limited BBM notifications
- Limited notifications for all Hub accounts
- Calendar events are pushed directly to Vector smartwatch with a predefined reminder time (minutes before the event occurs)
- Bug fixes and improvements
You can head over to the CrackBerry forums for further notes from the developer, as well as to give any feedback. The developer is very active in the forums and open to suggestions.
If you haven't updated yet, head on over to BlackBerry World to update, it's definitely worth it. If you're a Pebble user and haven't tried it yet, you can download it for free and get a 3-day trial. After which you can purchase the app for $3.99. If you've purchased the CellNinja app bundle, you can get Bridge as part of the bundle.