In the WTF news of the day, a family in the UK is claiming that a new BlackBerry Curve 9320 allegedly exploded and set fire to a bed. 11 year-old Kian McCreath says the Curve 9320 exploded and set fire to his bed, leaving burns on his legs. The device was reportedly removed from the charger and placed on the bed before it "exploded" and burst into flames. Kian and his family are looking for RIM to recall the device.
We've heard plenty of stories like this in the past, and given the amount of BlackBerry devices that haven't exploded, take it for what it's worth. The root cause is most likely another issue like a bad/knock-off battery and not the device itself.
Regardless, RIM has this to say:
RIM takes claims of this nature very seriously and a senior member of our team met with the family today to initiate a full investigation into this matter. In order to proceed with this investigation, we require the products that were involved in this incident to be made available for a full technical review.
At this point in time, the family has not provided RIM with the battery or charger for analysis and have said they are unable to locate the device itself. We have a team on standby to conduct this investigation as a priority as soon as the family makes these products available to us.
RIM is committed to ensuring our products are safe and we invest significantly in R&D and testing to ensure we meet or exceed all regulatory standards here in the UK and around the world.
What do you think? Have you ever had a device "explode" before? Sound off in the comments and hit up the forums for more discussion.