BlackBerry 10 has come a long way since it was first introduced, so much that we're having a hard time keeping track of what's new in each OS update. We've done some leg work with plenty of help from the CrackBerry forums (seriously - you guys are a huge resource) and have compiled a master change log for all of the major OS updates thus far.
While we've tried to pin down everything the best we can, keep in mind that we may have missed a few small features here and there. If you know of anything that should be added for any of the previous releases, be sure to drop a comment and we'll get the list updated. We'll keep this one going as more updates are officially released so be sure to check back when you want to find out what's new.
OS 10.0.1 was the first update from BlackBerry after the initial release of BlackBerry 10. The update brought along mostly fixes but added things like improved Bedside Mode, camera optimizations and battery life improvements.
- 3rd Party App Performance - improved performance for 3rd party applications, so developers can build apps that run fast and smooth
- Phone, Calendar, and Contacts - fixes for Gmail calendars, improvements in the BlackBerry Hub for logging calls log, general improvements to importing contacts from online sources
- Camera - optimized the camera for better photos in low-light situations
- Browser and Media - a number of improvements to the software in the way the browser handles video playback
- Battery Life - over 60 battery saving improvements
The OS 10.1 release was the first major OS update for BlackBerry 10. Here users got added features that included message gestures in the Hub, simple password support, email sync settings and much more.
- Next/previous message navigation shortcut: use a simple gesture to quickly move to the last or next message without having to return to the full message list. Within any message in the BlackBerry Hub:
- Swipe to the right and then down (like an upside-down L) to move forward to the next message
- Swipe to the right and then up (like a backwards L) to move back to the previous message
- Keyboard shortcut for last unread message: on the BlackBerry Q10 smartphone, pressing the “U” key in the BlackBerry Hub will take you to the last unread message
- Email synchronization: ActiveSync and IMAP email users can adjust syncing preferences to keep emails on their BlackBerry smartphone for an unlimited time period
- Two factor authentication for Twitter and LinkedIn: to improve security, if you have two factor authentication enabled for LinkedIn and Twitter, you’ll be sent a verification ID via a text message that you’ll enter into the settings when setting up those accounts
- Addition of a search field in BlackBerry Remember: quickly search for items in the app
- Support for simple passwords: simplified password entry from the lock screen and work space authentication prompts. The simple password feature utilizes a reduced keyboard layout containing only numeric characters and allows you to set a numeric PIN for your smartphone or work space password
- New interactive tutorials:
- Tutorial topics: swipe up from the bottom to close an app, swipe down from the top to reveal settings
- Each tutorial provides text instructions and an opportunity to perform the gesture
- IT policy to separate work and personal accounts in the BlackBerry Hub:
- BlackBerry Hub Work displays only work-related accounts, like a work email account and enterprise instant messaging
- BlackBerry Hub Personal displays only personal-related accounts, like a personal email account, SMS, BBM, phone calls and social media apps
- Input support for “strokes” for Simplified and Traditional Chinese
- Input and UI translation for Korean
- BlackBerry World:
- Ability to view video previews in landscape mode via HDMI out
- UX enhancements
- Recently viewed:
- See up to the last 12 pieces of content you’ve viewed
- Clear all recently viewed items or remove individual ones by long pressing and selecting delete viewed item from the context menu
- Enable a private browsing mode that will disable both recent search tracking and recently viewed
- My Wishlist:
- Add items to your wish list from a content details page
- Add up to 48 items to your wish list. When the 49th item is added, the first item added to the list is automatically removed
- Newsfeed UI refresh
- Ability to create a photo album before uploading a photo and upload a photo to a specific album
- Ability to tag friends in photos that were previously uploaded
- Content is automatically updated in all tabs without having to manually refresh
- Improved search for top tweets, photos and related profiles
- Import and invite contacts from your personal email address to connect on LinkedIn through the new Add Connections page in settings
- Easily view the number of unread messages and invitations from the inbox page
- UI improvements
- View the details of companies you follow and follow suggested companies
- Delete and archive messages in the inbox
- See the most recent updates from your network when the app is minimized in Active Frames
- Change your profile photo from the You page, the full screen view of your photo or the native picture viewer
- Search by connection name, headline and company
OS 10.2 was a vast improvement over the initial BlackBerry 10 release. This release added many big new features that included lock screen notifications, priority hub, instant previews, Miracast and Bluetooth 4.0 support.
- Lock screen notification previews - Users can now view notifications from the lock screen for email, SMS, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn and other native applications.
- Priority Hub - Priority Hub allows users to view their priority messages in the Hub quickly and easily. Priority items are tagged with a red stripe and are specified as high-priority, messages from conversations you started or contacts with the same last name.
- Attachment view - This view in the Hub allows you to see any files that you have received in messages, organized by sender, date, name or file type.
- Instant preview and reply - Instant previews are available for email, SMS, BBM, Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn. The previews show in the form of a dropdown when in any application and allow for quick viewing of messages. SMS and BBM also allow for quick reply from the notification dropdown.
- I Will be Late - Added to the Calendar popup, the I Will Be Late message allows users to send a message to attendees notifying if you will be late for a scheduled appointment.
- Reply Now - This feature lets you send a BBM or SMS when declining an incoming call.
- New copy/paste buttons - The copy/paste features have been revamped with a new UI and simpler menu.
- New typing audio feedback - Added feedback for touchscreen keyboards
- Stand-alone Evernote - Evernote is now a standalone app though it still integrates with BlackBerry remember
- Adaptive Sharing - The sharing menu now adapts to your use and shows services to which you share more frequently on top of the share menu.
- Natural Sound - Natural Sound is high-quality audio for the BlackBerry Z30 as well as additional codecs added to earlier devices.
- Miracast and Wi-Fi Direct - Miracast support allows wirelessly shunting the image on your device to another, bigger screen. This is done over Wi-Fi Direct, which basically connects two devices by one starting up its own little hotspot and the other connecting to it. Wi-Fi Direct support has a wide range of uses, including file transfers and syncing.
- USB Host - USB host adds new features for connectivity including USB flash drive support via a PC.
- Android Jelly Bean Runtime - A new runtime for Android 4.2.2 apps
- Bluetooth 4.0 - Bluetooth 4.0 Low Energy allows for consistent, low-demand connections via Bluetooth
- Camera updates - Autofocus logic improved, grid options added, share and delete added to preview.
- More Smart Tag options - Adds Smart Triggers, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Contact, Event, and Geo Location for NFC tags
- Browser improvements
- New Device Monitor - Native app to view CPU and battery usage on the device
- Multiple Alarms - Ability to set multiple alarms within the clock app
- Group SMS - A new checkbox that pops up when adding multiple people to a new SMS that enables group conversations
- Dark and light themes - Specific apps let you switch between dark and light UI themes, including calendar and contacts.
- Keypress speed dial - It doesn't work quite like it used to, in that you have to launch the phone app before holding down the key you assign to a contact, but it's still fairly convenient if you're running low on space with the software-based quick dial shortcuts.
January / February 2014
OS 10.2.1 is here, and along with a host of productivity and BlackBerry OS throwback features (like speed dialing off the keyboard), 10.2.1 also brings with it the ability to install Android apps directly onto BB10.
- Remote search of emails older than 60 days
- Bluetooth Sharing through Android Runtime
- Video Call has the new call screen
- FM Radio (Only Q10, Q5, Z30.. Z10 does not support this)
- Wi-Fi Direct
- Share Screen
- Direct Install of APK Files on device through File Manager or Browser
- Media Volume displays at top of screen
- New incoming call screen
- Update to Device Monitor app
- Update to Data Monitor app
- Clock App includes Accuweather information
- Flashlight app added (can be accessed from Quick Settings)
- Ability to arrange accounts in the Hub
- Pinch gesture in the Hub for quick access to specified messages
- Changes to battery icon
- Changes to charging icon
- Battery shows percentage in peek view
- Updates to native weather app
- New Quick Settings functionality for dropdown menu
- Updates to Media Player
- Added Picture Password
- Speed Dial from homescreen (Q10)
- Added Contact Groups
- Custom contact profiles for email, SMS, BBM and phone calls
- Delete options from Hub (device and/or server)
- Face detection toggle in Camera
- Airplane-Mode automatically turned on in Bedside Mode
- Lockscreen previews open directly to application
- New native wallpapers added
- Next email toggle inside email messages
- Updated Twitter app
- BBM adds vibrate on ping and new emoticons
- White balance adjuster in display settings
- IBM notes traveler in accounts settings
- Wolfram Alpha commands
- Dropdown Menu now includes:
- Flashlight App Button (new app to 10.2.1.xxxx)
- Brightness Adjustment
- Location Toggle Switch
- Device Monitor App Button (new app to 10.2.1.xxxx)
- Tethering Toggle Switch
- Hotspot Toggle Switch
- NFC Toggle Switch
- Flight mode Toggle Switch (airplane mode)