26 Advantages BlackBerry has over the iPhone

26 Advantages of the BlackBerry
By Kevin Michaluk on 10 Aug 2009 03:31 pm EDT
0
loading...
0
loading...
9
loading...

The iPhone gets a lot of love by both tech writers and owners of the device for a number reasons, most notably for its easy-to-learn/pretty user interface, the iPhone App Store (and the fact it runs apps/games well) and with its iPod heritage and iTunes integration is a solid media device. In the consumer space especially, these factors go a long way.

We like to take our shots at the iPhone from time to time here at CrackBerry.com (we're a BlackBerry enthusiast site, that's part of our gig, but we always strive to give it the respect it deserves too), but today it was actually Anton Walman over at SeekingAlpha.com who posted a story on BlackBerry's 26 Advantages over the iPhone. Anton makes the case that while the iPhone's advantages are compelling that they are "immediately visible," especially to the casual observer, and that the BlackBerry has a number of "behind the scenes" benefits that are equally compelling and should not be overlooked. Here's a quick sample from the top 26 list:

1. Blackberry can be used on almost every carrier in the world (over 475 of them). In the US, the iPhone is available on AT&T (T) only.
2. Blackberry is available in five form factors - small keyboard, large keyboard, no keyboard, flip phone, and candy-bar.
8. Blackberry has removable and expandable battery. iPhone is fixed.
9. Blackberry allows programs to multitask. iPhone has limited multitasking.
15. Blackberry can be synchronized to multiple computers simultaneously, if you have multiple computers. 

You can click the image above to jump over to SeekingAlpha for the full article and 26 BlackBerry advantages. Be sure to report back with your thoughts. If you think any were missed, leave them in the comments!

Topics: Editorial

80 comments

webchetan

iPhone sucks!!! BlackBerry Rocks!!! No second thoughts about it. Oh! someone has well said..iPhone is not even a Smart Phone :)

socialmuse

Ok i have a Storm and I love all these articles for a couple reasons...

1) The IPhone and BB are so close in comparison that there is truly no winner. I mean look at all the awsomeness of both products (and they are only products people not organs, i could live without mine and so could all of you)

2) I might have the "worst" BB ever but its still the 3rd greatest communication device ever (Behind the IPhone and all the other BB phones) no one is feeling threatened by Pre, HTC, G1, or even LG.

3) and finally i just love Verizon like my wife likes Twilight.....there is no real reason, its just what i love.

bchristopher1986

Its about time a media source is showing that the iphone is a boy toy and the bb is a man toy.

Riders On The Storm

Those were good points. In all fairness, BB has no Mac support for now, which is big for me. That is a bummer, especially for attempting to sync media.

Stang68

Desktop Manager for Mac is coming out in September!

sancho123

great list just emailed it out to many people :)

davidsnoodles

one of my favorite things about having my BB is BBM. it allows me to instantly connect to any other BBM user instantly, and unlike other messaging programs it works with all BB. i love the fact that i can communicate instantly with my cousins in london for free!

skyboxer

Easier to text while driving. Granted you can at least keep one hand on the wheel with a blackberry!

brinky

Amusing list, too bad not all of them are accurate.

> 4. Blackberry uses standardized (=inexpensive and available everywhere in the world) MicroUSB connector for synchronization/charging. iPhone has a much larger proprietary 30-pin connector.

By standardized you mean that your blackberry could have a standard mini USB or the new standard micro USB connector? Or the fact that one charging stand doesn't work with all blackberry's? At lease with the iPhone dock it can me modified with a dremel to fit the newer or older iPhones?

> 13. Sling on the Blackberry? Yes, it’s free. Sling on iPhone? $30.

Nope. $30 for the blackberry too.

> 10. The newest Blackberry screen resolution is 480x360. iPhone is 480x320.

Resolution isn't everything. It doesn't matter how good the resolution is if your screen is 1" x 1"

> 22. Blackberry models with 480 pixel resolution and WiFi offer PrimeTime2Go, an $8/month TV service that works as a DVR.

PrimeTime2Go sucks. Playback paused every few seconds and they offer like 4 channels with 3 shows each. Also doens't it only download over wifi? Didn't you bust on the iphone for this somewhere on your list?

> 20. Blackberry is available with multiple browsers from multiple suppliers. iPhone is available only with its standard Safari browser.

Don't care how many browsers the BB have, they all fail in comparison to Safari on the iphone.

If I had more time I could comment on the rest of the list but I have lost interest. And for the record I have a Tour so I am not a iphone fanboy, I just hate poorly researched articles or ones based less on facts and more on being a fanboy!

jcrus

>By standardized you mean that your blackberry could have a standard mini USB or the new standard micro USB connector? Or the fact that one charging stand doesn't work with all blackberry's? At lease with the iPhone dock it can me modified with a dremel to fit the newer or older iPhones?

Mini or micro USB, either one is considered an industry standard. I think the only reason RIM decided to go with micro USB on the new models is because all manufacturers (Albeit, Apple will probably make itself the exception) will be going to micro USB, after whines...er...complaints...er...concerns the EU voiced over how many chargers were being wasted and clogging up our landfills because they used proprietary jacks. As far as the charging stand, You could also take a dremel to the blackberry chargers and get the same result you mentioned. The charging stand is considered more of a nice accessory than a requirement, and even for iphones is model specific (1st gen vs 2/3rd gen).

>Nope. $30 for the blackberry too.

Either way, if I'm that desperate to watch tv episodes that I'm willing to do so on small screen, despite the storm/iphone size... I would get myself some counseling. Really people, pick up a book, disconnect and enjoy the world around you every once and a while! Sheesh!

>Resolution isn't everything. It doesn't matter how good the resolution is if your screen is 1" x 1"

Good point, however I think the comparison here would be Storm vs iPhone, which the storm matches screen size and beats in resolution. And resolution does play a huge part in clarity of text/images, even on a small screen. So even though it isn't everything, it's a really major part of the whole display technology thing nowadays. :P

>PrimeTime2Go sucks. Playback paused every few seconds and they offer like 4 channels with 3 shows each. Also doens't it only download over wifi? Didn't you bust on the iphone for this somewhere on your list?

See previous statement on watching tv on phone.

>Don't care how many browsers the BB have, they all fail in comparison to Safari on the iphone.

Well, this one is totally true... surfing the web on a bb is like using a browser from the 90s on dialup. Prodigy internet anyone?!?! :) But, rather than a browser (safari, bb browser, bolt, or otherwise) I'd rather have dedicated apps. It trims down a site's content to what's truly needed, is easier to reach once installed, and is designed with a phone screen in mind. This was true when I had the iPhone.

Not meant to be offensive, just wanted to add fuel to the debate! Argue on!!!!!

:)

fierywater

I'm not going to say that the BlackBerry platform doesn't have its advantages, but every time I see that fanboy-tastic picture on an article, I'm forced to come in.

I'll grant 1 & 2. Whether "small keyboard" and "large keyboard" should really count as two different form factors in the BlackBerry world is questionable, but I'll let it slide.

#3: I'm fairly sure I could dial on an iPhone without looking more easily than I could on any BlackBerry outside of the Storm or Pearl Flip. Big buttons help more than real buttons.

#4: I'm fairly sure I know more people with iPod cables sitting around than MicroUSB. Is it proprietary? Sure, but I'm fairly likely to have a friend who has one I can borrow if needed. What uses MicroUSB other than other phones?

#5: Verizon charges far more than $40. Sprint's network is worse than AT&T's; $40 international data wouldn't be much consolation.

#6: Fair enough, but then you're stuck with T-Mobile. UMA is just a band-aid for T-Mobile's limited coverage.

7-9: These are legitimate, though in the case of #9, I question whether most BlackBerry models are capable of multitasking without being slowed down to a crawl.

10: And the BlackBerry OS can play video well at that resolution, right? Oh wait, no. And the web browser can take advantage of the extra pixels to correctly display most web pages, right? Oops, wrong again.

11&12: These are valid points. 12 can be circumvented by jailbreaking, but you shouldn't have to.

13: Really? The site seems to suggest that it's $30 on all platforms.

14-18: Valid points. The iPhone's getting a web app for GV, but that's not much consolation. Apple needs to cut that bullshit out. The BlackBerry OS still rules at managing large numbers of contacts, as well.

19: Outside of BBM, you can get a client for every major protocol on the iPhone as well.

20: And that standard Safari browser is infinitely superior to any option available on the BlackBerry platform. This isn't something to brag about.

21: iTunes on Windows is pretty crappy. Valid.

22: I'm not really sure if this one affects enough BlackBerry owners to be considered a true advantage, especially given the BlackBerry OS's relatively limited media capabilities. Whatever, I'll give it to them.

23: Fair enough.

24: Yes, you can pay less for an inferior network. There's a reason that AT&T and Verizon match each other, regardless of whether you're using a BlackBerry or an iPhone.

25: Again, let's compare apples to apples; we're talking about T-Mobile here. If you're willing to use a carrier with a smaller coverage footprint, you can pay less.

26: "Security vulnerabilities" is a wonderfully vague way to put this, but I'll concede that the BlackBerry OS is more secure. It can be locked down more than the Iranian media if one so desires.

So out of the 26 points, 10 of them are pretty much BS. Imagine if someone made an article pointing out the advantages of the iPhone over the BlackBerry and accompanied it with an equally stupid picture of an iPhone breaking a BlackBerry in half? I'm sure it would result in nothing but a flame war.

This really eschews the point, though. The BlackBerry OS is in desperate need of a revamp. It's underpowered at its core and unable to take advantage of today's hardware. The gap is only going to grow until RIM gets its house in order. Relying on a stable but aging OS for too long is what nearly killed Palm; RIM needs to realize that Apple is far more dangerous than Windows Mobile ever was.

Kevin Michaluk

good comment, i just had to reply in regards to the PICTURE.

the old Curve chopping the iphone was actually made for us by good ole Rene Ritchie of TheIphoneBlog.com fame. So as BB-fanboy tastic as the picture is, it was actually made by an iPhone lover. just thought you'd like to know that :)

 

eyecon82

Sprint has the best data network out there..hands down. Verizon even leases EVDO towers from sprint.....try again

yes, 3g is great when you have it...but travel anywhere outside a major metropolitan area and you're stuck on EDGE which blows

Also, sprints international BB pack is far more than $40, i believe its $60

davidsnoodles

thats funny. if verizon leased EVDO towers from sprint, why doesn't sprint use them themselves to have better service?

Riders On The Storm

I think you make good points in regards to the questions. I agree that RIM needs to get their act together or this giant portion of the smartphone market will begin to erode. OS 5 isn't going to cut it if the average consumer wants more flash on their handheld.

With that said, this article does point out RIM has gotten things right before and while there is much to be desired, we have a solid platform. I look forward to seeing RIM evolve [hopefully] and adapt their rock solid ideas with a more modern feel.

fierywater

Thanks for the reply, Kevin - I'm quite amused by that. I got trolled. :D

@evecon82

Sprint's network would be great if the footprint wasn't pitiful. Without the ability to roam onto Verizon for voice (and really, isn't that what's most important here?), they'd be screwed. But yeah, I'm not sure where the OP got the idea that Sprint or VZW offers <$40 international data roaming. He definitely didn't do all the research that he should have.

urbanhideaway

I agreed with what you've assessed here. I personally feel it is bias when I read through them a couple of days ago.

Also, in Thailand, we have the option of paying only USD50 (equivalent in THB) for the unlimit data plan per month on the official True network. We can even get less if we work around on the data plan with AIS (Thailand's largest telco).

boomshot13

I took a quick peak at your comment and first thing I noticed was the price on #5. You say Verizon charges far more than $40 a month for unlimited data? I have the Blackberry Storm on Verizon and I pay only $30 a month for unlimited data. Which is far LESS than $40 a month

fierywater

Unless "within the United States" suddenly became "international," my #5 is perfectly accurate.

a_swelguy

ha ha ha ha ka pow! take that big bad iphone!

nimit7

Now someone just needs to make one to show why its better than the Palm Pre

tbhuang2

I'm glad people are pointing out the fallacies to this obviously biased and specious article.

To the people who read it and took every statement as true: You should learn to question things and think for yourself. Also, realize that anyone can make an accurate and equally long list of aspects in which the iPhone is better.

scorpiodsu

1.REAL HTML email
2.Can actually view email account folders
3.Threaded texting for easier conversation tracking
4.Apps for fun, productivity and anything you need
5.Good priced apps – not like the overpriced app store wannabe
6.Best mobile web browser that can actually view real web pages
7.Best media player…. No crappy looking media player in which people still buy an iPod touch
8.WiFi no matter the carrier
9.Best touchscreen device
10.Slick intuitive UI…. Unlike blackberry’s outdated OS
11.No battery pulls – Even if the iPhone had a battery you wouldn’t need to pull the battery to keep your phone from crashing
12.More Memory built in without having to purchase a card
13.Easier to navigate to applications and settings without having to click through folders
14.Form factor. Not clunky like some Blackberry models.
15.Supports for BOTH Mac and Windows NOW

N3rd4Christ

1.REAL HTML email (((Yes i Agree)))
2.Can actually view email account folders (((Nope)))
3.Threaded texting for easier conversation tracking (((Agree)))
4.Apps for fun, productivity and anything you need (((Too many Fart Apps for iPhone, BB Apps are more usefull..IE Call Screening, Diff Alerts and customization, iPhoen gets owned here sorry.)))
5.Good priced apps – not like the overpriced app store wannabe (((More Usefull thus cost more)))
6.Best mobile web browser that can actually view real web pages (((Not Quite, Not Flash Support, Skyfire Owns it)))
7.Best media player…. No crappy looking media player in which people still buy an iPod touch (((Agree)))
8.WiFi no matter the carrier (((BB Have Wifi Too, And ATT is only us carrier so, So my response BB no matter the carrier?)))
9.Best touchscreen device (((Agree)))
10.Slick intuitive UI…. Unlike blackberry’s outdated OS ((((Half truth, i like the OS, on both)))
11.No battery pulls – Even if the iPhone had a battery you wouldn’t need to pull the battery to keep your phone from crashing (((False, my iPhone has froze on me plenty of times having to do the equivalent of battery pull, Power + Home Buttom)))
12.More Memory built in without having to purchase a card (((Disadvantate, BB have removable memory, you can switch it out anytime u want and have multiple cards)))
13.Easier to navigate to applications and settings without having to click through folders ((((Not true, apps liek quicklaunch beat out the iPhone since like i mentioned before apps on the iphone lack usefullness due to multitasking)))
14.Form factor. Not clunky like some Blackberry models.(((Compare it to the new models just like the iphone, i like formfactor better on BB's)))
15.Supports for BOTH Mac and Windows (((Media Sync/Pocket mac...)))

brinky

2.Can actually view email account folders (((Nope)))

Confused by this one. The iPhone has a real imap email cleint that lets you look at all your folder and emails in them. Works on .Mac, google and yahoo. One of the things I don't like about the BB. I don't get all the love for the blackberry email when and iPhone with .Mac does it so much better.

1jaxstate1

As for someone who actually was using a Bold and a iPhone. I'd have to say it was a push. But hey, I sold my Bold in favor of the iPhone.

Charliecrack

Perhaps your preference is silly games rather than doing business. IN that case iPhone is great for entertainment.

oneshot#CB

Buenisimos todos los apps de ustedes, ojala me salga para este lado, saludos desde Buenos Aires !!!

stussmachine#CB

The best part of this list is all of the comments proving that many of these points were incorrect or subjective. Sounds like another fan boy. It's kind of like many on this site, "Oh, my beloved BB!" RIM and many BB users need to be more original and innovative. It's funny how many people here go crazy when another new iPhone theme is put out. Can we say envious!?

snookiesnoo

Whoever wrote this knows very little about iPhones. They were also really reaching to come up with 26 items.

1. More carriers? OK sure thats a really good thing.
2. 5 form factors? Really? Because almost everyone uses one form factor and the only non-keyboard model is a huge dud of a product.
3. Keyboard is overrated. I have used BB for a very long time and I type just fine on the iPhone keyboard, especially the new wide keyboard in OS 3.0 This is a classic comment by someoone who has never really used an iPhone keyboard for more than 5 minutes.
4. Micro-usb, true for now but Apple has committed to switching.
5. Yup AT&T is gouging us on cost no question about it. Not like the other carriers don't rip us off in other ways though and their unlimited plans are pretty new.
6. Wi-fi calling sounds neat but in practice has not been very good. Not really BB specific anyway.
7. Oh no he didn't! Fixed memory? Yeah lets talk...iPhone has 8, 16 or 32 GB of memory for apps, data media whatever and BB has...256MB. Up to 16 for other things. An archaic OS and file system is the reason.
8. Removabel battery so what. I'm on my third iPhone and have never had a battey issust BB complainste and if I did any Apple store will replace the phone. Meanwhile one of the biggest Bb complaints is aournd loose battery doors.
9. BB so called multi-tasking is very limited, poorly managed, and on CDMA cannot download data and do voice at the same time. Revolutionary I know. Lack of multitasking on the iPhone is blown way, way out of proporption because it does multi-task more than enough for most people and if
full multi-tasking were allowed would chew up the battery in no time. The iPhone has a real OS not some patched up antiquated mish mash like BB.
10. A few pixels more on the screen of a unviersally derided product. Wow. Really reaching now.
11. Nobody cares.
12. Skype over 3G which is exactly where you don't want or need it.
13. Sling? Not allowed by AT&T. Not widely used. But OK, whatever floats your boat.
14. Google voice on iPhone is ocming shortly as a web app.
15. Sync to computer is so 1990's. People syn to the cloud these days.
16. See number 11.
17. I don't know what iPhone he is using but sort and search work just fine on the iPhone.
18. See 17. he msut have dreamed this, also see 11.
19. Bzzt! Show me an instant messenger that is not available on iPhone. I dare you. MMS is not supported by AT&T yet but is by other apps.
20. BB has other broswers because the built in one sucks as do many of the add ons.
21. Lots of other ways to sync iPhones and iPods for that matter. This is really well known btw.
22. iPhone has apps like this including apps form Direct TV and others that allow you to Tivo at no extra cost. Now your just being lazy.
23. OK, I'll give them this one for all 3 people who have over 200 new e-mails. But he is still wrong in that you can only see 200 e-mails at once which most people will never care about.
24. Yup, price is high, But you get the best build quality, service and support you can find, unlimited apps, huge memory space, great dev tools and developer community.
25. Cell phone contract has nothing to do witht he actual phone and is a repeat of 1 as are others.
26. Out of the box the BB is not an encrypted security platform and it only goes so far which is why they would not let Obama use one. "iPhone has security problems" is weak. it does not represent the current iPhone OS but the old one. Which is lame of you.

What a terrible list. I could make a better one.

jcrus

1. More carriers? OK sure thats a really good thing.
-Yes, actually, it is. Choice means the ability to switch carriers to what best suits your needs. When I moved to an area where most cell coverage was fringe at best (yes, there are places like that), T-mobile won hands down because I could use my cell phone in any wifi area available, most importantly, home. Since then, I've decided to stay with T-Mo because of their excellent pricing and customer service, which means a lot to me. But, IF I wanted to, I could get a storm or other CDMA BB World phone that had GSM radios on it, and be able to pick from any of the 4 carriers, without having to sign a new contract. Can't do that with an iPhone.

2. 5 form factors? Really? Because almost everyone uses one form factor and the only non-keyboard model is a huge dud of a product.
-I personally use the SureType keyboard. I like it for the big keys and predictive text. Although I had no problems with the iPhones keypad, I did prefer BB's because of tactile feedback. And I do like the Storm's because it combines the best of both worlds, and will probably get Storm 2 when it comes out. By the way, calling the Storm a dud of a product when it's one of the best-selling smartphones is kind of an ignorant statement. The Storm wasn't all it could be in it's 1st gen appearance, neither was the iPhone. What the 1st gen iPhone had in fru-fru wow factor, it lacked in basic cell phone capability. Now in it's 3rd generation and it's only now gotten up to a par phone in call quality and other basic smartphone features.

3. Keyboard is overrated. I have used BB for a very long time and I type just fine on the iPhone keyboard, especially the new wide keyboard in OS 3.0 This is a classic comment by someoone who has never really used an iPhone keyboard for more than 5 minutes.
-I've used the iphone for 18 months, as with my previous comment, I like the SureType better. But this is more of a general preference than actual functionality.

4. Micro-usb, true for now but Apple has committed to switching.
-Apple is notorious for making itself locked into it's own products. While the EU has pushed for all cell phone manufacturers to standardize with micro USB, I have a feeling Apple will be the last to do so, right behind Sony Ericsson. RIM however has taken the lead in this matter.

5. Yup AT&T is gouging us on cost no question about it. Not like the other carriers don't rip us off in other ways though and their unlimited plans are pretty new.
-I've used all 4 services, T-Mo is by far the best. Coverage doesn't make the whole service to me. How a company treats its customers means a lot to me. Again, that's a personal preference. The fact of the matter is no matter where you go for cell phone service, there's a blackberry for you. iPhone on the other hand....

6. Wi-fi calling sounds neat but in practice has not been very good. Not really BB specific anyway.
-Have you never used UMA?!?!? That's a completely daft statement. I've had nothing but excellence using WiFi calling. And though it's not BB specific, it is a BB feature that the iPhone doesn't have

7. Oh no he didn't! Fixed memory? Yeah lets talk...iPhone has 8, 16 or 32 GB of memory for apps, data media whatever and BB has...256MB. Up to 16 for other things. An archaic OS and file system is the reason.
-While yes, the point you make is valid, there's another your missing. It's very easy to carry around a couple 16GB microSD cards, and thus have all the memory you need for a BB. It also allows backup of documents that can be separated, great if you've got confidential documents you don't want stored permanently on the phone but need to have on you. The fact that there is no expandable memory on the iPhone, while not an issue now, will become an issue in the future I believe.

8. Removabel battery so what. I'm on my third iPhone and have never had a battey issust BB complainste and if I did any Apple store will replace the phone. Meanwhile one of the biggest Bb complaints is aournd loose battery doors.
-The issue is not so much battery issues, it's the ability to carry extra or extended batteries with you when you have long periods of cell phone use between charging. Not a problem for the average consumer, which the iphone is modeled after, but a huge issue for professionals who use their cell phone as a mobile office.

9. BB so called multi-tasking is very limited, poorly managed, and on CDMA cannot download data and do voice at the same time. Revolutionary I know. Lack of multitasking on the iPhone is blown way, way out of proporption because it does multi-task more than enough for most people and if
full multi-tasking were allowed would chew up the battery in no time. The iPhone has a real OS not some patched up antiquated mish mash like BB.
-I really like how you followed up your previous statement with this one. You just answered why you would need removable batteries. :) No real answer for this one, other than I do like the ability to switch back to a program exactly where I left off without having to go through intro splashes. I actually like BB multi-tasking, I don't see what the issue is here. Of course, on the iPhone, it does have pseudo-multi tasking in that most programs save the last state they're in before closing.

10. A few pixels more on the screen of a unviersally derided product. Wow. Really reaching now.
-Derided yet still one of the top selling Smartphone models....hmmm...

11. Nobody cares.
-You do, obviously enough to post this rebuttal. :)

12. Skype over 3G which is exactly where you don't want or need it.
Other than being able to use my unlimited data plan rather than my limited voice minutes, but yes your exactly right, I wouldn't want that or need that.

13. Sling? Not allowed by AT&T. Not widely used. But OK, whatever floats your boat.
I agree with you here. Anybody that addicted to watch TV on a cell phone needs counseling.

14. Google voice on iPhone is ocming shortly as a web app.
-Web apps are never as good as native apps, iphone, bb, or otherwise.

15. Sync to computer is so 1990's. People syn to the cloud these days.
-Um, yeah if you're part of the google mobileme crowd. :) Personally, I don't like the concept of cloud computing. There are some things I just rather not have floating around the internet.

16. See number 11.
-See my response

17. I don't know what iPhone he is using but sort and search work just fine on the iPhone.
-And it only took them 2 years to finally master that overly complicated piece of technology, right along with MMS. You have to admit, the iPhone is slacking in that department and is only now catching up.

18. See 17. he msut have dreamed this, also see 11.
I personally don't have thousands of address book entries, so can't honestly comment on this one either way.

19. Bzzt! Show me an instant messenger that is not available on iPhone. I dare you. MMS is not supported by AT&T yet but is by other apps.
-BB Messenger! HAH, Showed you. :) MMS is supported by AT&T they just refuse to support it on the iPhone, and Apple refused to make it available until just recently. This is something even cheap prepaid phones can do, and it's really sad Apple/AT&T can't.

20. BB has other broswers because the built in one sucks as do many of the add ons.
-Browsing full HTML sites on any phone sucks because of small screen size and lack of flash-support which most sites use. If you want to browse the real web, use a laptop/desktop. Your eyes will thank you later.

21. Lots of other ways to sync iPhones and iPods for that matter. This is really well known btw.
-Yes, but Apple is also well known for trying to close down every loophole for syncing outside of iTunes. You can't update the iPhone/iPod without iTunes btw.

22. iPhone has apps like this including apps form Direct TV and others that allow you to Tivo at no extra cost. Now your just being lazy.
-Again, counseling is needed for that much TV.

23. OK, I'll give them this one for all 3 people who have over 200 new e-mails. But he is still wrong in that you can only see 200 e-mails at once which most people will never care about.
-I'm agree with you here.

24. Yup, price is high, But you get the best build quality, service and support you can find, unlimited apps, huge memory space, great dev tools and developer community.
-BB has a lot of what you just mentioned.

25. Cell phone contract has nothing to do witht he actual phone and is a repeat of 1 as are others.
-Agreed

26. Out of the box the BB is not an encrypted security platform and it only goes so far which is why they would not let Obama use one. "iPhone has security problems" is weak. it does not represent the current iPhone OS but the old one. Which is lame of you.
-Okay, basically comparing the BB to iPhone, the BB is more secure out of the box, hands down. And Obama does use a Blackberry, not an iPhone. If it's able to be configured to be safe enough for POTS, I say it has the best security abilities available for any phone..

prezzy

Easy there, fanboy.

If you want a toy, get an iPhone. If you want a business tool, get a 'Berry. 'Nuff said. There is no perfect device out on the current market, that's an easy fact to face. Just pick one, be happy with it and stop being a douche about it.

bchristopher1986

Your 26 is incorrect, he actually uses a blackberry. as much as i dont like obama, if its good enough for the president its good enough for me.

snookiesnoo

Read the other comments. He got even more wrong than I realized.

Error507

It's so cute to see all the iPhone handlers getting ticked off.

I personally actually wanted an iPhone for the longest time, but there was one major point (okay, two) that really turned me, and probably a lot of others away from it.

Multitasking.

I can't stand how the iPhone doesn't support multitasking. It's terrible. I like to have multiple applications running, I don't want an application I'm working in to flat-out close when I want to go into my email app to check what just came in. With a Blackberry, you can stop typing mid-sentence, bring up the Application Switcher, switch to you mail, calendaring, messaging, etc. application, do what you need to do, switch back, and continue typing that sentence, with everything exactly where you left it.

Also: Battery Life.

This kind of goes hand-in-hand with multitasking. Apple seems to have a phobia of shipping products with removable batteries, and if they do ship a product with a removable battery, the life on the thing is horrid (Just so you know, I'm not anti-Apple, I actually have a collection of macs). I remember when OS 3.0 was previewed and they got into multitasking and complained that battery life fell, so they copped out and said "OMG PUSH" and everyone clamored around like it was the best thing ever, when all it is is another iPhone shortcoming. If battery life is shorter when multitasking, build in a bigger battery!

I know plenty of people with iPhones and they ALL, not some, ALL complain about short battery life. Many of them can barely get through the day with light usage, whereas my Blackberry can pull multiple days out of its battery, -with- multiple applications running. And, my handset is a Storm, so no one can say "Well, the iPhone has a larger screen soo..."

All in all, if Apple had fixed these two major bits, I would have probably been a bit closer to picking up an iPhone.

qwavel

I agree, the iPhone seems to have terrible battery life.

I don't fully understand it - Apple seems to take battery life seriously and they have taken many steps to prevent any possibility of 3rd party apps doing anything that would consume power. How come they still have the worst battery life of the smart phones.

brinky

Blackberry have great battery life until you toss on some 3rd party apps running in the background. Once you do that it is you get about the same battery life as you do on an iPhone. Sure I could close the apps and not let them run in the background, but that defeats the purpose of the mutil-tasking doesn't it?

xWiggy18x

All my blackberys freeze up,
if i didn't have to have verizon, i'd had the iPhone.
Don't get me wrong, i love my blackberry, but the iPhone3gs is way sick.

infamyx

get their feelings crushed and feel the need to respond back.

I've seen the iphone hilariously freeze up continuously or drop calls, or that the keyboard is better (lulz much? type at 60+ WPM and see how quickly the iphone will fail to keep up) is a laughable comment in itself. Plus there is a keyboard that can suit different needs...the only thing the iphone has is its initial support for different languages such as asian languages

My hardcore iphone friends have an umbillical cord to a power outlet cause of the phones horrific battery life.

Sorry but only clowns accept no multi-tasking like its not a problem. Be real.

Oh and the iphones security is still putrid at best...3.0 didnt change anything significantly cause the phone is still easily hackable (lol remember that 3.0.1 patch).

Oh and ask any real tech critic, Apples App Store is filled with 95% garbage.

fierywater

Pfft, stop trolling. I type over 60 WPM and my 3GS handles it just fine, thanks. Maybe the earlier models had issues that I'm unaware of?

I can't say that my battery life has been any worse than my old BlackBerry's was. Hell, if I didn't use WiFi at all, it would probably be better.

No multi-tasking is most certainly a problem, but the BlackBerry OS most certainly doesn't handle multitasking very well. RIM really needs to work on memory management. Throwing more RAM at the problem is just a band-aid.

Has an iPhone been hacked in the real world? As in, has a user's iPhone actually been compromised by a malicious 3rd party? So far, all of the vulnerabilities I've read about haven't been taken advantage of outside of a sterile environment, so to speak. Apple's fairly quick to patch these things.

As far as your last point goes, 5% of 65,000 applications is still 3,250. I'm fairly sure that's more apps than there are on the BlackBerry App World. And even the good ones are much cheaper than their BlackBerry counterparts. I'm not sure if that's because iPhone apps are undervalued or because BlackBerry apps are overpriced (probably a little of both), but it's still the case.

JoelTruckerDude

'bout time some gave the complete breakdown to shut the Iphone yuppies up. Awesome analysis !!!

Arson627

Awww how cute are the iPhone lovers are. So quick to get their back up. There were some valid points on there, others not so much. Blackberry does have a numerous amount of benefits, but so does the iPhone. The iPhone kiddies just need to chill when their phone is getting bashed. Blackberry gets raped over the coals too by iPhone lovers, part of the fun of the internet. All in good fun.

tdine05

You hit the nail right on the head. All the people saying this article sounds like it was written by a BlackBerry fanboy... sound like iPhone fanboys.

fierywater

I'm more than willing to back up the BlackBerry side of things when the time arises, but this article has quite a few holes.

Trust me, I'd be happy to tear a hole into Apple for what it's been pulling with the App Store lately. I'm definitely not amused.

Oni_Kidou

Some good advantages with a few of the listed. However, there are some that I would just see as just a pitiful attempt to have more so-called "advantages" with the BlackBerry. For number 12 talking about Skype on the BlackBerry. Skype never released an app for the BlackBerry. All you get is IM+ Skype for the BlackBerry which doesn't even work so it's a waste of money. Number 3 I couldn't help but laugh at.

"3. Most Blackberries have keyboards, so you can actually type fast and with no errors. Helps while driving, walking, carrying something in your other hand"

Helps while driving? Why the hell would you want to do that when it's pretty much illegal everywhere in the US and that being dangerous? Seriously. Come on. Number 18. Who has 10,000 contacts on their phone? Who even has 1,000? Even if you work for a top company you wouldn't have that many contacts in your address book. That's just ridiculous.

Lastly. Number 19. All major instant messengers on the BlackBerry. Well yeah. As well as with iPhone. Trillian anybody?

Aside from those "advantages" (if they should be call that), it's a really nice list of decent advantages with the BlackBerry towards the iPhone.

eyhab27

multi tasking is the biggest reason i feel BB is better than the iPhone. nothing else matters, since these are smart phones after all :P

JoelTruckerDude

Say what you will about BB's, but they will be around long after the "little boys with toys" grow up and want a real piece of equipment, not to mention BB's were around long before the Iphone became a gleam in Apple's eye and will continue to be. So Apple invented a toy, RIM decided to add the same features to it's already stable environment, every system has bugs to workout in the 1st year, I suppose Iphone was perfect in every way when it was released or now for that matter. HAH

qwavel

- The BB supports real, standard, Bluetooth protocols. To use the iPhones' Bluetooth beyond audio you have to pay an extra licensing fee and get special hardware (they added this in OS3).

This is a classic Apple move that makes their customers pay more in the end. Hey Apple, standards are hard, but they are good for your customers. Give them a try sometime.

- The BB lets the user get software from their app store, or from anywhere else. Fewer apps so far, but much greater freedom, better apps, and better prices.

JoelTruckerDude

AMEN TO THAT !! Anyone priced a MAC lately, thought they were GOLD cased.

Intrudah

Several things mentioned are not accurate as other have already pointed.
Another BS statement is BB supporting micro SD cards, failed to mention that its only upto 16GB, There is Iphone with 32GB so the BB supporting micro sd card is nothing special.
Im a Bold user and love my phone but there are ups and downs on both BB and Iphone.
Not every BB user is a business men with high security demands so I dont see the point of bringing security issues on every iphone vs bb thread.

cutlerf

I have one of the original iPhones bought days after it was first available. It is an amazing device and still one of the only handhelds that truly syncs perfectly with a Mac. That said, I now own a Blackberry Tour and it beats the iPhone in every category except mindless syncing with a Mac. AT&T is the primary reason my Tour is better because the Tour is on Verizon, but the other thing that stands out besides the physical keyboard is the Tour is a better iPod. I have a pair of Shure 530's and the sound on the Tour blows the iPhone out of the water. Wasn't that one of the legacy's of the iPhone heritage? No contest in my book.

DoctorNeutron

iPhone uses iMap that is difficult to deal with out in the real world amid clients, associates, etc. BB allows FILTERING so that when you get an email, you can be sure it is important and that you need to deal with it, pronto. Many BB users can also surf for their complete emails by surfing, if the time and environment are right.

This is why doctor, lawyers, (gulp) politicians, and yes, some nuclear physicists with important clients, use BB.

Doctor Neutron

Realestatepro

what about services with the Iphone? Im not sure if this has changed any since i had an iphone when they initially came out years ago but you couldnt insure the iphone...Or anytime you had issues with it you would have to go to an apple store... i mean yes these arnt hardware related issues but they certaintly are issued tied in with the phone...some places dont have Apple stores near by... plus some people dont have the time to make an appointment and deal with the issue or not have a phone for a day or two... plus if you loose or break the phone you have to buy another one full retail...

again if this has changed since i had my iphone then disregard the comment but im almost sure it hasnt....

michaelalanjones#CB

When I get to work, I go to my RSS reader, to check the news - and I read a lot of news - so it takes Viigo about a minute to download, even at 3G on my Bold. So I task-switch over to Slacker (or Pandora) and start it up, and start to jam. While I am jamming to streaming music, I task-switch over and read and respond to my email, and do other things, then task-switch back to Viigo, to read my news, all while jamming.
_______________

Now, how would you do this on an iPhone? Let's see. Open the RSS reader, let it download your news. Read it all, then close it. Then go to the email app, and do your email, then close that. Then go to iFart and fart a little, then close that. Then go to whatever streaming client there is (is there one?), and listem to some music. Then close that. If you want to see if someone sent you some email, close whatever you are doing, and look at the home screen for a red star, then you open the email program, read/respond, and then close that.

When, except back during the Commodore 64 days, was single-tasking okay? I could multi-task with DOS and OS/2, and even with the old 8080, kinda. Why do people not understand how important multi-tasking is?

Why will the iPhone not multi-task? Surely, Apple could make it multi-task, right?

michaelalanjones#CB

People call the Storm a Sh!tstorm, but how many of them have been returned? From what I hear, only a few of them. I think it is just easy to call it funny names, when comparing it to the iPhone. But hey, the Storm can multi-task!

My friend Jody has a Storm, and she absolutely loves it. She has the latest version of the OS, which I believe is better than the first version. I considered buying a Storm, but I didn't like the plans that Verizon was offering me - $39/month for only 450 minutes, when I already had 1000 minutes for $39/month from AT&T (it's an old plan).

However, my wife is on her 4th iPhone, 3 others failed - one seized up, one became sizzlingly red hot, one stopped showing video on part of the screen, and she carries her current one. She loves it, but, she cannot even get through the day on one charge - she talks on the phone a lot, as a business person. It seems strange to me, because I have a Bold, and I use my phone all day long.

kingweb

First of all, Sling does cost money on Blackberry after the 30 day trial. But the BIG problem with Sling is that on the ihpone, it is WIFI only, and not 3G capable.

Iphone is basically, the cell phone version of North Korea. Everything is controlled by a dictatorship. Apple decides which software you can or cannot use. Apple has to approve everything.

With BB or WinMo, do whatever you want.

shermant

You should add "user replaceable" battery. Batteries will fail.

wrecklass

These kinds of articles always bring a smile because they prove nothing at all except that when a certain product is massively leading in the marketplace everyone wants to take shots at it.

The iPhone is the best smart phone for people who like the iPod and iPhone. Blackberry is the best product for people who like Blackberry's.

I love my Curve for all of the things it does, and my iPod Touch for all of the things it does. Between the two I can tell you my next phone will not be a Blackberry unless RIM fixes the memory limitations. I am not sure I see that happening by the time my current contract runs out with Sprint, and by then it is VERY likely that the iPhone will no longer be an AT&T exclusive. If Rim decides to get rid of physical keyboards, then I won't have a decision at all. I'll definitely go to the iPhone.

JBobH

But the security angle only applies to BES of course.

royinferno69

I totally agree with this list. Iphone sucks, not as great as people say and not durable like the BlackBerry's are. I have to admit though no. 26 on the list surprised me i had no idea about that, only makes me LOVE my BlackBerry more!!! :D

royinferno69

I totally agree with this list. Iphone sucks, not as great as people say and not durable like the BlackBerry's are. I have to admit though no. 26 on the list surprised me i had no idea about that, only makes me LOVE my BlackBerry more!!! :D

socialmuse

Ok i have a Storm and I love all these articles for a couple reasons...

1) The IPhone and BB are so close in comparison that there is truly no winner. I mean look at all the awsomeness of both products (and they are only products people not organs, i could live without mine and so could all of you)

2) I might have the "worst" BB ever but its still the 3rd greatest communication device ever (Behind the IPhone and all the other BB phones) no one is feeling threatened by Pre, HTC, G1, or even LG.

3) and finally i just love Verizon like my wife likes Twilight.....there is no real reason, its just what i love.

gobeaches

yes, right . I prefer blackberry more than iphone. It is much better in many ways.

dphorgan2

Apple Fanboys will buy Steve Jobs sh*t in a box. You develope a fanbase over the years and your fans will buy your products no matter how crappy they are. Straight out of the box, no jailbreaking/apps, an iFone is pretty far behind in Smartphone standards. Just got that fancy new copy and paste and voice dailing, cutting edge stuff baby!!

ReccaKun

kinda funny how ppl who hates bb fan boys read this and comments anyways. they know its a bb website and they know that most people that visit this site are bb fan boy and yet we find them here and saying oohh my iphone is great it has this and this... and when they find out what their little and yet brittle iphone is lacking they are quick to put up thier guard and on the defence..well iphone lover chill out if you don't like what you see here in a bb website then stick to your iphone blogs... or maybe deep down inside you wish u had a bb that's why you guys keeps visiting this site =P

teamdarns

gotta show this to all my friends with iPhones

EGerhardt

Let me tell you a little story:

On monday I was at a warm up session for a post-grad corporate training programme, which was leading us towards being taken on by the company. There were six of us waiting around, going through the interview process and such. Of those six, there were five blackberry users.

Then there was the 'cool' guy who had an iphone.

Within ten minutes of sitting around, all the BB users had barcoded each other on BBM and people were cooing over the american guys 8550 and taking turns to play with the trackpad. LED flashes and vibrations were near constant.

The media advantages and fun/coolness of the iPhone suddenly didn't seem so great.

I love how a blackberry is not a toy. It's not even really meant for consumers. Although I carry around two 16gb cards around one stuffed full of music, one stuffed full of video, knowing that I managed to write half of my essays at uni on my berry is what makes me keep it.

Iphones just aren't tools.

Which is why iPhones are more popular with normal people.

Normal people want fun and easy and shiney. I want a tool.

thehoomizon21

how's this for all u apple fanboys

p4musique

There are some points that you made that I totally agree with and then there are some im like uhhh really... I have a BB and really really like it and have had the iPhone, but have been considering switching back to the iPhone only for 3 major reason that I don’t like about my BB.

twitter.com/justlh

breakmedown

Personally, I like reading these articles just to see how people view these pieces of equipment. I don't personally think one is "better" than the other, just different. The same argument rages on in the automobile sector and has for generations. This is and will be no different.

This comment, though, I had to respond to because it deviated from the objectionary article to something interesting.

"despite all your posturing, the proof of the pudding is in the price of the stock.

aapl is twice the price of rimm but is only off about 35 or so points from the high, whereas rimm is down about 60 points from the high.

tough to argue with those numbers. rimm is still trying to contact dr ehrlich to find that magic bullet."

-- The interesting thing about that is that Apple stock includes all their computers, software, iPods, and so on. Not *just* the iPhone and software. Blackberry is solely the handheld and the software surrounding it. Given the millions of computers Apple sells at a very premium price, I'm pretty sure the portion from the iPhone is fairly negligible. So this is comparing Apples to Berries. Or so they say ;-)

Arauthator

It cracks me up to see this war go on between Blackberry users and iCraponeverything users. I myself like Blackberry. Both phones have their good points, both phones have their bad points. Simple truth is, there is a market in this world for both phones. I stay away from iPhone MAINLY because it's AT&T exclusive. They are the WORST ! We've had 3G out here in the boondocks for years now compared to AT&T just now getting it in November 2010 for our area, just so happens, Verizon is hitting us up with 4G in November.

I've seen the WiFi on AT&T and iPhone. T-Mobile has better deals if you are in the market for cheap phones and service like the iPhone and AT&T offer.

Take Blackberry and iPhone out of the argument and you have Verizon vs. AT&T. Everybody in the country knows the difference. Sure, Verizon costs more, but I laugh all the time when I"m out on the Lake in no man's land using my phone and my fishing partner is throwing his phone in the water for fish bait. I've converted over a dozen people to Verizon out there on that lake doing that. I get the same old thing, can I use your phone man? LOL

If you live in the city, and you stay there, I'd have no problem suggesting AT&T to you. However, if you live out in the Country or spend a lot of time traveling. Verizon is where it's at. My Blackberry Storm 2 has already ticked off about 5 of my friends while camping and fishing. So to come on these forums and see iPhone users defend that phone, it's hilarious in my opinion when so many of them are asking to use my Blackberry Storm 2.

Peace Be With You. :)

Charliecrack

Some disadvantages of my iPhone and why I am changing to Blackberry Bold 9900 is that

!. it somehow manages to mute on its own, I have to check it now every hour to make sure the sound is on. I've missed a lot of important calls because the sound turns itself off,.
2. It starts making calls to people without me knowing it, which is annoying to them.
3. It starts sending messages to people without my knowledge and of course those messages are empty, which is also annoying people.
4.The digital keyboard is hard to use.
5. The voice recognition on the email, messaging and Facebook has to be re-typed anyway.
6. Siri is super boring to listen too, and really takes her time answering. At first it was fun, but after only three months she has proven to be more of a virtual hindrance than a help.
7. I tell Siri to wake me up,m but she doesn't.
8. I set reminders but never get reminded.
9. Takes too long to do things like Facebook I wait forever to use it.
10. To put photos on it deletes what photos and data you already have on there.
11. Most of the apps are not serious or for helping business but are games and silly things for kids.
12. Browser is too slow,
13. Siri doesn't understand half of what I say, and I am a native English speaker.

dimegirl

I noticed all that on my husbands new I-Phone...i told him i don't want one that's why i bought my friends old Blackberry:)